• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

crafting larger portable holes?

AF Stripes

First Post
Looking through extradimensional items I found the enveloping pit. The idea of my artificer using this as his own portable laboratory appeals to me but Use Magic Device won't let me trick the divine requirements necessary to use it. So I thought 'won't a portable hole do the same thing'? Of course. Its just a matter of the crafting process. The market price for a portable hole is 20000 gp and for that you get a hole 10 feet deep. I assume its a space of 10 by 10 by 10. So for 20 k we get 1000 total feet of space.

So...can't I just pay more to modify the dimensions until they match the space of the enveloping pit then pay that price? Can anyone help me with this idea? Or should my artificer invest in the true believer feat and then emulate the rest and then copy it two or three times for his very own complete artificer's complex and lab? It would be awkward since hes a Gondite in training to be a techsmith...

I would have no problem with scaling up a portable hole to whatever size you want. Retaining the same price per cubic foot would if anything make a larger version overpriced.

Greenfield

Adventurer
One option is to simply apply a Portable Hole to the bottom or side of another Portable Hole. You can't put Bags in Holes, nor Holes in Bags, but you can "stack" Portable Holes inside one another to your heart's content, as far as I know.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Why? Can't you press a second Hole onto the wall of the first one? And a third onto the second?

If you insist on flat floors, but are willing to accept an area with a 20 foot ceiling/depth, place the first Hole on the floor. From inside place three more on the walls. That fills all around that one circle, with a shade of overlap (the difference between 3 and 3.1459). On the lower section of each spoke, place another Hole. You can also put a rim around the spokes by placing more holes on the wall or flat end of each of them, then going down again. Finish by placing a Hole on the floor of the first, central Hole, so that all come down to the same depth of 20 feet.

Your portable workroom/space has a 6 foot opening, probably a spiral stair or ladder leading down, and then as much floor space below as your character can afford. And it can be expanded as needed by adding more as they become available,

Alternately, since the Hole is a simple circle of black silk when not opened, could you stitch two or more pieces of "silk" together? The topside footprint is now as big as your Hole, but it's only 10 feet deep now and doesn't take two holes to get the floor space of one.

Sekhmet

First Post
Regarding "stacking" holes - objects are either inside of, or not inside of portals, dimensions, or planes. Even if you "stacked" the Portable Hole, you couldn't put a 20' long item inside of it. It would be occupying the space of two different pocket dimensions simultaneously, which isn't allowed.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Can a person stand on a ladder, with their head and shoulders above the edge and their body inside the Hole?

If so then they (or any object) could stand half in one Hole and half in another.

Holes aren't like Gates or Portals, where you're either on one side or the other. Standing or being partially inside one or more wouldn't be an issue.

Of course, if the owner wanted that area to be a magical workshop of any sort, the DM alone knows what the overlapping and twisted dimensional space would do to the process or the results.

To me, that sounds like an incredible opportunity for plot hooks.

(Note to Self: If I ever get a Star Trek stye ship, the first thing I do is pull the plug on the Holo-Deck.)

Sekhmet

First Post
I would say "yes", they can stand on a ladder with their head and shoulders above the edge, and their body inside. However, they count as being outside of the hole, not inside. I'd say this is because the portal is anchored on the Prime Material Plane.
Attempting to stand between two holes would cause severe damage, from portals drifting through extradimensional space at different rates, angles, and times. I'd say this is because one hole is being anchored inside of another extradimensional space.
Enjoy being torn apart.

AF Stripes

First Post
So how do I figure out pricing for a larger volume of space? Ideally id to do create something 20 x 30 x 20/25. Thats far more rounded out than the enveloping pit.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I would say "yes", they can stand on a ladder with their head and shoulders above the edge, and their body inside. However, they count as being outside of the hole, not inside. I'd say this is because the portal is anchored on the Prime Material Plane.
Attempting to stand between two holes would cause severe damage, from portals drifting through extradimensional space at different rates, angles, and times. I'd say this is because one hole is being anchored inside of another extradimensional space.
Enjoy being torn apart.

So, in essence, Portable Holes only work on the Prime Material?

Because if they work on other dimensions then, well, they work on other dimensions. And "other dimensions" would naturally (or supernaturally) include the "other dimension" that exists inside a Portable Hole.

Sorry, but that's kind of what your logic dictates.

To my way of thinking, no matter what plane a given Hole is anchored in, it's anchored in that plane. There is no schism, no drifting at different angles, rates and/or times.

I'll take this moment to, once again, point out that a Portable Hole isn't a Portal (with a capital "P"), Gate, or other means of traveling between the planes. The "one side or the other" thing doesn't really apply.

Now you, as DM, can rule any way you like. But what you're saying isn't in any way supported by the rules, at least not as far as I know. And you seem to be ruling that when the "parent" hole is closed, so are all the others, but again that's not supported in the rules. You close a Hole by removing it from the surface it's anchored to. Until you do that, it's still open. And we know that the inside surfaces don't vanish when the Hole is closed because a person can be inside it when it's closed.

Now if you want a rules nit-pick, argue that the curved wall of the cylindrical Hole doesn't count as a "flat surface" to open another Hol on. Argue that you can only open one on a floor facing. (Note that neither of those restrictions is actually found in the rules, but they sound good.)

Finally, I'll point out that Portable Holes are not extra-dimensional any more. Not in 3.5 any way. They're "non-dimensional space", completely outside the multiverse of planes.

Remove ads