• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Crafting replacement

CapnZapp

Legend
I was asked if I had made any Crafting houserules (by a Paizo poster) and realized that a) my existing thread on the subject wasn't really good enough, and b) my semi-recent suggestion is incredibly scattered (in a much more general thread). So here goes (credits to @kenada for helping me out):

Crafting. This activity lets you craft items. Crafting one permanent item or four consumables takes between 1 and 8 weeks of downtime. After spending one or more weeks of Crafting, roll a Crafting check with the item level setting the DC. For each week spent crafting, the "purchase price" of your item is reduced by 1/8th. Spending longer than 8 weeks crafting an item provides no additional benefits.​
Critical Success = counts as a success, plus: if you're prepared to pay twice the purchase price of the item you're crafting (reduced by time spent crafting), you get two identical items.​
Success = Pay the purchase price (reduced by 1/8th for each week spent crafting) and you get your item.​
Failure = You have had a setback. Choose either to double your crafting time (spending additional time equal to time already spent) or break off the crafting. If you double your crafting time, your roll counts as a success, reducing the purchase price as for the original undoubled number of weeks spent. If you break off your crafting, you get no item (and don't have to pay any money) - your time is simply wasted. You can begin anew from scratch if you like.​
Critical Failure = Your rate of progress is completely lost. As failure but you must choose to break off your crafting.​

The original trio of posts:
Point here is - all that complication and confusion regarding Crafting could just vanish and be replaced with a rule that is crystal clear, easy and fast:

Earn Income. The GM and settlement level determines how high a task level you can find for the particular skill you attempt to earn income from. Each week spent in downtime normally allows you to earn 1/8th of the purchase price of a permanent item of the task's level in gold.​

Crafting. This skill lets you make Earn Income tasks at your own level, regardless of the settlement's nature. You can spend these savings on crafting items, and once you've reached half the purchase price of the item, you can spend the other half of the purchase price in gold, and have your item.​

After spending the necessary number of weeks for your Earn Income to reach half the purchase price of the item you're crafting (a long-winded way of saying "After spending four weeks"), roll a Crafting check with the item level setting the DC.
Critical Success = if you're prepared to pay the full purchase price of the item you're crafting, you get two identical items out of the time spent. Counts as a Success in every other aspect.
Success = as described
Failure = your rate of progress is halved (meaning you must spend as much time as you've already spent to get a Success). If you break off the crafting, your spent time is wasted.
Critical Failure = your rate of progress is completely lost. Your spent time is wasted. You can begin anew from scratch if you like.

Edit: I get you now. You should be able to make your roll already after week 1. Since this thread isn't a houserule thread, I'm not going to update previous posts, but you're totally right. If four weeks allows you plow down half money, one week should allow you to plow down 7/8ths money. (Not 8/8ths - time spent should count towards the total, with no weird "four day tax" that introduces a wonky special case where brewing cheap potions becomes a losing proposition)

Remove ads