• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crafting

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think it really makes sense to treat crafting as a pure flavor aspect. If you want to be an expert crafter, then just say you are. If you want to forge your own weapons, then just say you did. I can't see any reason to incorporate a mechanical cost to crafting (like skill training or a feat), nor to grant a mechanical benefit (like a reduced cost.)

In any case, I don't think there are any expensive nonmagical items in 4e that would make it worthwhile to invest character resources into crafting. What were you hoping to do that you need crafting rules for?

Cadfan

First Post
I wouldn't copy 3e necessarily. I see two disadvantages with it.

1. It provides too much detail. Unless you really need to know the difference between a +13 and a +14 to basketweaving, you shouldn't have a system that divides levels of basketweaving skill into increments that small. You probably just want to know, roughly, what a character can make.

2. It forces your ability to craft things to directly trade off with the skills that make you a better adventurer. Learning to weave baskets stops you from learning how to, say, ride a horse. This isn't good. Its better to have that sort of skill set off to the side so it doesn't trade off with combat or adventuring skills.

So... I'd just ask the players during character creation whether their characters have any background skills or knowledge, and then note it on the character sheet and handwave the details. For most campaigns, that should get the job done. Do you have specific needs for crafting?

Way I've done it so far in my campaign is treating profession and crafting the same way: if characters declared they had a certain background [one character was a pirate] then they are considered trained in skill checks that migth be related.
Eg. One character spent a couple of years as a pirate, before that spending time on a traveling barge. So anytime there is a sailing check necessary I let her make it trained, and if she needs to do repairs to boats / barges I again allow it trained.

Works pretty well.

aradinn

First Post
i just thought that having them make their own godly weapons would be cool.
and enchanting them according to their liking.

clearstream

(He, Him)
anyone with ideas for crafing in 4e?
I'm thinking of integrating the 3.5e rules in to 4e.

My current thinking is to add specific skill uses for craft, professions, farming, and performance under existing skills. Good candidates look like Bluff (performance), History (lawyer), Streetwise (merchant), Nature (farming) and so on.

That way it's not a pick, and you have something to roll against to decide how effective someone is. Let people choose one specific NCU if there are several.

-vk

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
i just thought that having them make their own godly weapons would be cool.
and enchanting them according to their liking.

So yeah, that's like 30 gp worth of mundane crafting, followed by the Enchant Item ritual.

Maybe you just feel like the actual crafting part of it should be a bigger deal when you make a powerful magic item?

Jhaelen

First Post
So yeah, that's like 30 gp worth of mundane crafting, followed by the Enchant Item ritual.

Maybe you just feel like the actual crafting part of it should be a bigger deal when you make a powerful magic item?
That would have been my suggestion as well. Crafting has been 'abstracted away' in 4E. The easiest match is a ritual. Rituals require materials, time, and often a skill check.

If you want to make things more interesting, resolve it like a skill challenge, maybe to acquire rare components or hire expert craftsmen.

Crafting items in 3E wasn't exactly exciting. You can do way better in 4E _because_ there isn't a craft skill :)

Remove ads