• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crazy/cool names of real-world places

Aeris Winterood

First Post
A few...

Michigan has a few....

Paradise
Hell
Christmas

And you can drive all over Michigan and think you are across the world...

Atlanta
Paris
Oakland

Last edited:

Harlock

First Post
Some more from Texas:

Bee Cave
Melvin

And not in Texas, but who can forget a set of Mountains named:

Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. Grand Teton is French for umm... big... well, let's call it breasts. Of course, it's near Jackson Hole...

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
New Hampshire has a few amusing ones. My favorite is Melvin Villiage.

There are also a bunch of unincorporated places that are just called X's Location, such as Erving's Location and Martin's Location.

CombatWombat51

First Post
When I lived in Plano, TX, the street the next block over was Lonesome Trail, and I thought that was cool as hell. Damn, I had another one, but I forgot.

Well, lots cities in San Diego (another place I used to live) have funny names, though not cool or D&D-esk. La Mesa (The Table), El Cajon (The Box), I lived on Loma Alta Drive (High Hill), Tierra Santa (Holy Land, AFAICT), and others I'm surely forgetting. All those Spanish names crack me up. Rio Grande (Big River), El Centro (The Center), and so on.

Ferox4

First Post
Blue Earth, MN
Beaver Lick, KY (There's a Beaver Lick Trading Post, Beaver Lick Christian Church & right down the road is - and I am not kidding - Big Bone Lick State Park)
Bowling Green, OH
Yellow Springs, OH
Moose, WY
Silver Spring, MD
Mendocino, CA

Temagami, ONT
Ooshke, ONT
New Liskard, ONT

Allanon

Explorer
Well funny and weird names abundant in The Netherlands. But as some of the other non-us/uk posters stated non-translatable. Although there is one which translates just fine.

Monster, The Netherlands

Skinwalker

First Post
Devil's Tower, Wyoming
Hell, Arkansas
Somewhere between Houston and Austin there is a Hollering Woman Creek.

All of these sound like ripe locations for a horror campaign!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads