• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crazy Gaming ideas

Janx

Hero
I'm tired of debates about why things add up, imaginary victories and saving people who don't exist. It's time for a thread that transcends all that and gets to the meat of things.

Namely, what are the craziest ideas you've have about or for gaming?

Here's a few from my group:

---
When we first started gaming, one guy's idea was to make a big enough ice fishing house so that we could game and ice fish at the same time. If you've never gamed in Minnesota in the cold, let me tell you, it's cold.

---

Another idea (before college), was to build a dungeon on the back forty, and then genetically engineer convicts to populate it as orcs. Then charge admission. The guy in charge of that has his BS in biology and chemisty, halfway there. And he recently got the huge excavator we need for the dungeon. And the idea of using Shipping Containers was recently raised. I'd say we're close to at least getting a dungeon.

---
I've always wanted books akin to the library that the Scooby gang would use to help Buffy. I figure a slew of books on the arcane would be great for the players to research the newest threat in the game. It's hard finding old books like that.

---
I've had an idea knocking around in the back of my head, for a modern spy-themed larp kind of game. Perhaps with dead drops, clandestine meetings and exchanges. One that played over days or weeks. So some elements of The Game and Alias thrown in (not the killing people part). The trick is, in post 9-11, is to not look like a terrorist during any of this.

---

One of my friends wants to hire "adult entertainers" to act out the scenes (life sized miniatures, sans chain mail bikinis). I'm pretty sure the orc wouldn't be doing that to my PC.

---
what other idea have folks thought about, but perhaps were too far-fetched to try out?

Ambrus

Explorer
Your notion of stuffing a bunch of ex-cons and prostitutes together into a compound made of buried shipping containers is... I'll go with "interesting". I strongly suspect that the result of said experiment would bear little to no similarity to any kind of D&D game or LARP I've ever played though.

I wonder if this is how psychopaths daydream... *shudder*

Janx

Hero
Your notion of stuffing a bunch of ex-cons and prostitutes together into a compound made of buried shipping containers is... I'll go with "interesting". I strongly suspect that the result of said experiment would bear little to no similarity to any kind of D&D game or LARP I've ever played though.

I wonder if this is how psychopaths daydream... *shudder*

LOL.

I think he was thinking strippers. and that was a seperate idea from a different friend. Some ideas shouldn't be mixed. After all, what would the children look like.

Perhaps it is how crazy wizards who build dungeons dream...

Ambrus

Explorer
I think he was thinking strippers.
Ah. Yeah, that might work out alright then. As long as you outfit your shipping container dungeon with a sufficient number of brass poles, that is.
and that was a seperate idea from a different friend. Some ideas shouldn't be mixed.
Oh good. I was having a hard time figuring out how the ice fishing fit into this plan.
Perhaps it is how crazy wizards who build dungeons dream...
"Of course! All I need do is to create a half-dozen giant flesh eating Jell-O cubes, an owl-bear hybrid, hire plenty of cheap hobgoblin mercenaries, add in some brass poles to the parlor and pipe in some organ music and I'll have created the AWESOMEST THEME PARK THIS GODFORSAKEN WORLD HAS EVER BEHOLDEN!!! HOW COULD IT POSSIBLY FAIL?!? Bwou-ha-ha-ha!"

In 2005 I ran a modern game where the party needed to take Michael Jackson to Avalon so he could kill King Arthur (who looked and acted like Bruce Campbell from Army of Darkness) and use the Holy Grail to heal the world (and make Michael Jackson black again).

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I
I've had an idea knocking around in the back of my head, for a modern spy-themed larp kind of game. Perhaps with dead drops, clandestine meetings and exchanges. One that played over days or weeks. So some elements of The Game and Alias thrown in (not the killing people part). The trick is, in post 9-11, is to not look like a terrorist during any of this.
This reminds me of T.A.G., The Assassination Game. We tried playing that back in highschool in the late 80s, but it kind of fizzles when you know everyone involved. Yeah, and nowadays that wouldn't fly. It's odd that writing "BOOM!" on a piece of paper and leaving it in a trash can could get the FBI called on you.

@RangerWickett: Your King Arthur/Michael Jackson game leaves me... stunned. I never knew that such heights of sheer awesome were even imaginable. Kudos.

I ran an adventure once that I titled "Mecha-hamster vs. the Great Black Flumph of Doom!" That pretty much explains it all, except the part where the giant hamsters roamed....

maddman75

First Post
I've always wanted books akin to the library that the Scooby gang would use to help Buffy. I figure a slew of books on the arcane would be great for the players to research the newest threat in the game. It's hard finding old books like that.

Forgotten Books are a line of reproductions of such ancient tomes. I've got a few of them and have used them as props in both Buffy and Call of Cthulhu. They're pretty cheap, though they lack the heavy iron and human skin binding that would make them perfect. :)

Amazon.com: forgotten books

Quantum

First Post
My basic idea is a world without deities, in that all magic is actually fueled by a liquid called mana with which you actually drink to restore your magic because there is no magic energies on the planet. The mana is located on several spots in actual lakes and city states have fought wars over control of these resources.

But the dark secret of this mana is that the liquid is actually the remains of deities in which all of them had been actually killed in a war between them.

But what actually killed them remains a mystery, one that the PCs have to solve, in order to save their world.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Heehee, those sound like some very unusual idea. I had one idea for an evil Planescape campaign call "To serve a hag" or "How much will ya give me for this larva, Guvner?" The premise was a bunch of low level evil player characters (either using M&M or D&D system) that were bribed/geased/shanghaied/forced to work for a Night Hag selling her larvae and all the shenanigans they could get into doing that. Sort of a semi-tongue-in-cheek game of very dark and morbid humor. One of the players wanted to take up the seven deadly sins as character themes. If we had played M&M, he would have created a Nupperibo-looking embodiment of gluttony who could spit acid and always carried around a bag of delicious pickled gnome heads.

One of the weirder adventures I actually ran took place inside of a nonevil but mentally disturbed beholder's mind. Got inspired for it by the old 2e accessory “I Tyrant” and the 3.5 third party supplement the Complete Guide to Beholders. The background of the adventure was that the beholder’s conception of self (a very important thing for the normally xenophobic species) was too divided for the beholder to function. This mental breakdown allowed for a psychic parasite to get inside of the beholder’s mind. The PCs had to kill the parasite and restore the beholder’s mental functioning in order to receive a favor they wanted from it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads