• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crazy Question On Shields

melkorspawn

First Post
Ok... let's say for some crazy reason, you've taken Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Shield Bash, and picked up two shields, heavy and light. Is there a way to magically improve both the AC and the damage caused by the shields? Does a masterwork shield give +1 to the attack roll, or just decrease the check penalty? Are there any shields more deadly than the 1d6 Spiked Heavy Shield? Would Two Weapon Defense still give you additional AC? Am I crazy enough to impliment this whimsy, dreamed up in a moment of insanity whilst reading the Fighter Question thread?

Pinotage

Explorer
melkorspawn said:
Ok... let's say for some crazy reason, you've taken Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Shield Bash, and picked up two shields, heavy and light. Is there a way to magically improve both the AC and the damage caused by the shields? Does a masterwork shield give +1 to the attack roll, or just decrease the check penalty? Are there any shields more deadly than the 1d6 Spiked Heavy Shield? Would Two Weapon Defense still give you additional AC? Am I crazy enough to impliment this whimsy, dreamed up in a moment of insanity whilst reading the Fighter Question thread?

There's some debate about whether you can even use two shields given that the description states that a shield bash is an 'offhand' attack. In any event, you can enchant a shield as both a shield and a weapon, but you treat them separately. So a +1 Light Shield enchanted as a +1 weapon gives +2 AC but also +1 on attack and damage for attacks due to the weapon enhancement. It costs 1159 gp for the shield bonus, and 2300 for the weapon enhancement.

You can apply the bashing ability to a shield, increasing the damage done by one category, but there's no clear indication of how this ability interacts with later enchanting of the shield as a weapon.

Pinotage

Infiniti2000

First Post
Pinotage said:
So a +1 Light Shield enchanted as a +1 weapon gives +2 AC but also +1 on attack and damage for attacks due to the weapon enhancement. It costs 1159 gp for the shield bonus, and 2300 for the weapon enhancement.
For one thing, the word is enhance, not enchant. They have different game-related definitions. For another, it would only be 2000 for the +1 weapon enhancement. You can't masterwork craft armor or shields as weapons. You don't even need to. The masterwork for the shield itself is sufficient. One other thing to the OP, note that this specific light shield is steel.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Hmm, +5 Large Shield with +5 defending.
- Pretty expensive, but +12 AC?
- Do you need to attack to gain defending weapons AC? (I could look it up, but don't want to go through SRD to find it.)

Pinotage

Explorer
:)
Infiniti2000 said:
For one thing, the word is enhance, not enchant. They have different game-related definitions. For another, it would only be 2000 for the +1 weapon enhancement. You can't masterwork craft armor or shields as weapons. You don't even need to. The masterwork for the shield itself is sufficient. One other thing to the OP, note that this specific light shield is steel.

Yuck. Got the other two right. I know better than that. Typing without thinking. :) In any event, I don't agree. Crafting a shield as a weapon and as a shield is two distinctly different things. Why shouldn't crafting it to be a weapon also incur the masterwork cost? Is a masterwork shield suddenly a masterwork weapon as well? I don't think it is, but there's nothing to support that idea.

Pinotage

Infiniti2000

First Post
The shield is either masterwork or it's not. There's no mentioning of creating a weapon-masterwork shield or any type of hybrid, double-masterwork item in the SRD. Note that the requirements for making a magical weapon out of a shield only stipulate that it be masterwork, not that it incur an additional cost of 300gp, because the cost of a masterwork shield is simply +150gp.

melkorspawn

First Post
So... what I would have to do is make the shields masterwork for the armor check benefit, and then make the spikes masterwork for the attack bonus?

werk

First Post
melkorspawn said:
So... what I would have to do is make the shields masterwork for the armor check benefit, and then make the spikes masterwork for the attack bonus?

That's what I was going to say, aren't the spikes the weapon?

SRD said:
An enhancement bonus to a suit of armor does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right.
We've always played that they are basically two separate items.

Last edited:

Remove ads