• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crazy warrior-poet character?

BadMojo

First Post
I'm currently playing a Barbarian (2nd level) and I'm interested in trying a combination of Bard & Barbarian with Frenzied Berserker thrown in the mix.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the Bard to fit the Viking-esque Skald concept. I've looked at the UA variant Savage Bard but I'm not entirely convinced.

Any ideas on how to emulate my "homicidal berserker/bad poet" concept?

Kunimatyu

First Post
BadMojo said:
I'm currently playing a Barbarian (2nd level) and I'm interested in trying a combination of Bard & Barbarian with Frenzied Berserker thrown in the mix.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the Bard to fit the Viking-esque Skald concept. I've looked at the UA variant Savage Bard but I'm not entirely convinced.

If you were Iron Heroes -- or your DM accepts the Iron Heroes usages of the Perform skill -- you could take ranks in Perform to either give your enemies penalties to attacks and saves, or give your allies bonuses to their attacks/saves, like a bard song. That's probably how I'd do it -- I played a self-flagellating iterant prophet of the apocolypse using the Iron Heroes Berserker class, and he'd use Perform(oratory) to give hellfire-and-brimstone speeches during combat(and out of it!).

Nonlethal Force

First Post
BadMojo said:

Are you human? If you are ... I think human paragon would be the best choice for the following reasons:

1. Adaptive Learning means that you could designate your Perform as a class skill - regardless of future classes taken.

2. You get a bonus feat at 2nd level ... you could use that in many ways.

3. Even if you take three levels in it ... you only will lose 1 to your BAB total. That rocks!

4. If you take three levels, you get a permanent ability boost of your choosing.

5. The human paragon gets to choose 10 skills as class skills ... so you don't compromise your barbarian levels.

6. You get 4+INT skill points. So not much lost there either!

To me, it sounds like a great fit - for however many levels you want to choose. Of curse, it only works if you are human. Sorry!

Rhun

First Post
If you have access to Complete Warrior, check out the War Chanter. I find that it fits well with the barbarian/skald type concept.

Remove ads