Create an RPG multiverse from scratch

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I created a Miniverse once. Mini in that it only provided the afterlife/multiverse of a single culture. For my Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror, I created a reincarnation cycle emulating the Buddhist reincarnation cycle which was overlayed onto the Social caste system. Where each social caste comprised one of the "hells', which all the destinations on the Buddhist reincarnation cycle are considered "hells". There is one true Hell, home of the Oni and Akuma, lorded over by Emma-O, an evil god. The other five planes of existence that coexist with the social caste system are comprised of Heaven (Kaidan aristocracy), Asuras (Buke or Samurai caste), Human (Commoner caste), Animal (Obake/Yokai), Hungry Ghost (Hinin/Eta oppressed caste), and Hell... There is also one more plane of existence needed, that sits outside the social caste system/reincarnation cycle and that is Yomi (the land of dead, where spirits go at the moment of death). That's the entire Mini-verse for Kaidan.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
when you say multiverse i assume you mean something closer to the planar system, all the realms as parts (if not specifically connected parts) of a greater whole than like, parralel universes spiderverse-type multiverse?

Yes, so, given that the term "multiverse" has come to mean something a bit different in the common parlance, what the OP is talking about sounds like the "Planar Cosmology".

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The nexus of all reality is a swirling chaos storm, from which tendrils of probability sweep out like arcs of lightning, energizing the endless void with ionized clouds of magic that coalesce into new realities.

Who knows what motes of aether might burn in each new reality? Time, space, thought, desire, nightmare. And who knows who or what might learn to harness the probability arcs, becoming riders on the swirling winds flowing out upon the nexus storm?

Remove ads