• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Create Food and Water" - How much?

Tetujin

First Post
Yes, I know "Food and water to sustain three humans or one horse/level for 24 hours", but I'm looking for real volumes, or maybe something in the DMG about how much a human eats/drinks in 24 hours.

dcollins

Explorer
From the SRD, under "Starvation and Thirst":

In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tetujin said:
Yes, I know "Food and water to sustain three humans or one horse/level for 24 hours", but I'm looking for real volumes, or maybe something in the DMG about how much a human eats/drinks in 24 hours.

I'd expect something like 30 pounds of food and water per level -- a gallon of water and a pound or two more of food per person. That's a basic minimum, unless the food is supercompact* (in which case a day's rations for a person could be perhaps 8 1/2 pounds, mostly water).

For volume, figure a minimum of 1/2 cubic foot per level.

* Supercompact food: Probably lard or something similar...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads