• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creating a 3.5 finesse style melee character that doesn't suck.

Fajita McJones

First Post
Building a viable dexterous or TWF isn't the easiest thing in 3.5, but it's far from impossible. If you're trying to stay away from Bo9S (and it seems like 3.5 players are split about 50/50 on that) then there's a couple things to keep in mind. Also note that I usually avoid prestige classes because I don't like them and I try to keep builds to as few classes as possible.

Use the same weapon in each hand. Yeah, that sounds weird. Espeically when your primary hand may be doing 1d10 of damage and your secondary weapon may be doing 1d4. Still, your weapons' damage dice aren't what is going to kill enemies and if you carry the same weapon in each hand you double the mileage of feats that only apply to one specific weapon (like improved critical, weapon focus/specialization, etc.).

You need need NEED extra damage beyond just your weapons' damage dice and your strength modifier. You're not carrying a weapon in two hands so power attack is useless and the only way to put enemies down on the ground is some extra form of damage. The Ranger's favored enemy bonus does this to an extent, and only with specific enemies, but usually it isn't enough on its own (unless you're in something like an undead-heavy campaign and you can get away with super specializing against undead). Adding your INT bonus to your damage rolls with the Swashbuckler is better, but it's still not enough in most cases.

Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike really is the most reliable way to go. It works on most enemies (save for undead, etc.) and scales more with your class level than Favored Enemy and whatever that swashbuckler thing is called.

Three levels in Swashbuckler and I think four levels in Rogue qualifies you for Daring Outlaw and lets you progress your sneak attack as a Swashbuckler. So you have the HP to to last longer against a foe and the damage from sneak attack needed to make TWF viable. Also, you at least have some bonus to your damage from your INT bonus for those occasions where you can't flank or strike an enemy that is flat footed. Finally, save the first two levels of Fighter for those times where you desperately need an extra feat at a certain level and you should be golden.

Last edited:

Eman Resu

First Post
swashbuckler/rogue/invisible blade this would get you int to hit/int to AC/the games best feint & more SA damage...but here you would be using 2 wep style with daggers, and that aint bad because you could always throw them.

Fallenibilis

First Post
Three levels in Swashbuckler and I think four levels in Rogue qualifies you for Daring Outlaw and lets you progress your sneak attack as a Swashbuckler. So you have the HP to to last longer against a foe and the damage from sneak attack needed to make TWF viable. Also, you at least have some bonus to your damage from your INT bonus for those occasions where you can't flank or strike an enemy that is flat footed. Finally, save the first two levels of Fighter for those times where you desperately need an extra feat at a certain level and you should be golden.

You only need 2 levels of swashbuckler and 3 of rogue. But it i would go at least 4 rogue to pick up uncanny dodge at 4th.

Oh make sure to pick up Penetrating Strike at 3rd level (so you can sneak attack it as long as you can flank it). For those who don't know what it/where it is its an Alternate Class Feature from dungeonscape that replaces the near useless trapsense.

Fallenibilis

First Post
If you want to go the two weapon fighting route you could take the Tempest Prestige Class which slowly reduces your penalty for wielding two weapons, gives you a defense bonus while wielding two weapons that stacks with Two weapon defense, and at its capstone when you make a spring attack you get to attack with both weapons.

Personally i would stick away from the the TWF and just wield the Court Blade, but thats just me.

Fallenibilis

Remove ads