• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating a "Bender" class

Angrydad

First Post
I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Nickelodeon show Avatar: the Last Airbender, but it's a show my wife and I are big fans of and we're trying to convert the elemental bending styles into classes for 3.5 D&D. We're basing the elemental attacks, HD, BA progression, and skill points on the Warlock class. Each bender class gets an attack with their respective element similar to the Warlock's Eldritch Blast. Benders can gain abilities similar to warlock invocations to modify their elemental blasts.

Here's a brief description of each bender and what flavor we're going for. Any suggestions on how to implement some of these things is appreciated, just remember that we've got access to most of the 3.5 splats and core books, but little material from other publishers or systems. Here's the basics.

Waterbenders:
The waterbenders in the show tend to gain healing abilities, though nowhere near what a cleric is capable of. Instead, the healing mechanic would be based on the warlock's "fiendish resilience" ability. Once per day, a waterbender can trigger a fast healing effect in a given target (meaning that any one person can only receive healing from a waterbender once per day). The target would heal a certain amount per round based on his/her HD or level. The duration would be based on the level of the waterbender. If a waterbender so chooses, he or she may instead gain further abilities to shape or add effects to their elemental blast. A waterbender can cause piercing or slashing damage when creating ice effects.
-Prestige Class idea: Bloodbender. In the show, a few waterbenders eventually learn to manipulate the water in living creatures, plants, and so on. This would essentially allow a powerful water/bloodbender to cause enemies to attack their own allies and such.

Firebenders:
Firebenders are the most aggressive benders and we're thinking would have bigger HD, a better BA progression, or gain some Fighter bonus feats as they level up. Fire is the least able to create other effects beyond direct damage, so we felt they deserved to have some other significant ability. We also considered having the damage of their elemental blast increase faster.
-Prestige class idea: Lightningbender. A rare few firebenders learn how to channel lightning from their fingertips. Unlike fire or other elements, lightning cannot be shaped into anything besides a straight line/blast (like a lightning bolt spell).

Earthbenders:
The most defensively oriented of the benders, we thought it would be appropriate to give them the AC bonus from the monk class, as well as allow them to learn more shapes for their blasts that create armor or shield effects. Earthbenders are the only ones whose blasts deal bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage, depending on the effect desired. Also, we were thinking that perhaps earthbenders would get a bonus to resist bull rush and trip attempts, much like dwarves or four legged creatures.
-Prestige class idea: Metalbender. Only one character in the show ever learns to manipulate metal of any sort, but we figured it would be a cool power to add. Metal is basically pure earth, but is more difficult to work with, so metalbenders aren't able to affect as much metal as earth.

Airbenders:
Airbenders are all about mobility and evasion. We're thinking it'd be good to basically give them many of the monk abilities from the base class, since many of the monk abilities relate to movement and such. Airbenders are also able to fly via gliders or similar type devices. As they gain levels they'd increase their flight speed and maneuverability. Perhaps granting a skirmish bonus or the AC bonus (similar to the Scout class) would be appropriate.
-Prestige class idea: We don't have a real name yet, but the class would eventually learn to fly without any glider or device and end up being able to fly at will. It's tougher to figure out an Airbender prestige class because there's only one in the show who gets more than a few minutes of screen time, so there's a little less insight into potential other abilities.

Angrydad

First Post

Thanks, I got a few ideas out of those threads. I'm still working out whether we want Benders to be an actual class or if it will be feats and skills. Personally, I prefer the idea of Benders being full on base classes because it allows us to keep it more balanced. Taking a few Bending feats, which is one method suggested in the threads, seems more like it'd be something that everyone would want to take. That's usually a sign of imbalance.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Yeah, balanced. Considering how Sokka felt before he learned how to use a sword because he lacked superpowers, maybe they are balanced with themselves.

Angrydad

First Post
Yeah, balanced. Considering how Sokka felt before he learned how to use a sword because he lacked superpowers, maybe they are balanced with themselves.

Sokka's case works for dramatic tension (and humor) in a TV show, but for a D&D party leveling up at a relatively equal rate, he'd be a high level fighter by the end of things. We're trying to make the Bender classes similar to the Warlock, which is fairly well balanced compared to other base classes, but I suspect it'll still end up like Jedi in Star Wars d20. Everyone wants to play a Jedi first.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Sokka's case works for dramatic tension (and humor) in a TV show, but for a D&D party leveling up at a relatively equal rate, he'd be a high level fighter by the end of things. We're trying to make the Bender classes similar to the Warlock, which is fairly well balanced compared to other base classes, but I suspect it'll still end up like Jedi in Star Wars d20. Everyone wants to play a Jedi first.

If that's the case then you might want to run the campaign using Gneech's Sword & Sorcery Saga system.

A few modifications might be in order, but its a damn sight better than D&D's limitations with spells and spellcasting.

Angrydad

First Post
If that's the case then you might want to run the campaign using Gneech's Sword & Sorcery Saga system.

A few modifications might be in order, but its a damn sight better than D&D's limitations with spells and spellcasting.

I appreciate the references, but we're not really interested in learning a new system unless it dovetails nicely with 3.5E. I'll take a look at Gneech's stuff though. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads