• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating a magic item

Dristram

First Post
Hey there...do you have at least 5 ranks in Knowledge (D&D spells)? Cool! Maybe you can answer my questions

My one main weakness as a DM is my lack of knowledge of D&D spells. I've never been much of a Wizard player, so I'm sure that accounts for it. On to my question. I've created two magic items and before I create spells for them, I'm wondering if there are spells that already exist like them.

Here's the first magic ability (for shields and armor)
* Spell Reflecting
~ Grants +5 Reflex Save to area affect spells and abilities (like dragon's breath)
~ Reflects touch attack spells back at the caster using the casters Attack roll as a free action
~ Reflects touch attack spells back at the caster using the target's Attack roll as a Readied Attack action.

Does a spell exist that could be used in the making of this item?
If not, what level would such a spell be?
And what bonus rating should such an ability be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Interesting, I'll do what I can... Here's some recommendations for the item "prerequisites".

Spell Reflecting: See Spell Turning in the PHB. Essentially does what you want.

Reflex saves +5: Wow, that's a big save. What kind of bonus is it? Off the top of my head, I'd say haste and resistance would be good prerequisites for this ability.

~ Reflects touch attack spells back at the caster using the casters Attack roll as a free action
~ Reflects touch attack spells back at the caster using the target's Attack roll as a Readied Attack action.

These seem like the same ability, the first being superior to the second. I'd still recommend Spell Turning as the prerequisite ability (even though that spell does not reflect touch spells).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads