• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating a Scroll, Potion or other item and Min. Time

Denaes

First Post
I'm sorry if this is a common question or is simple. I've run D&D 3.0 since the PHB came out and Never had a player want to make items. I've never wanted to make items either.

Now I'm an Artificer and this is my deal, so I'm trying to get a handle on what I can/can't do.

Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp of the base price.

A level 0 spell costs 6.25gp.

A level 1 spell costs 12.5gp.

A level 2 spell costs 75gp.

All of these are far under 1,000gp.

Is 1 day the minimum to scribe a spell or would you figure things out based on the 1,000gp=8hours relationship.
500gp = 4hours
250gp = 2hours
175gp = 1hours
87.5gp = 30minute
43.75 = 15minutes
21.875 = 7.5 minutes
10.94 = 3-4 minutes
5.47 = 2-3 minutes

Or is it still a full day to do a level 0 (6.25gp) scroll?

Also I have a feat that takes 25% off the time as well as another that takes 25% off the xp. If 1 day is the minimum, would the min be 1 day - 25% = 6 hours? or are these feats wasted until I can create things that cost over 1,000 gp?

Edit

Also, a potion says it takes 1 day. Not sliding. Seeing as 1 day = 8 hours for creation, I'd think the 1 day would be 6 hours for me as I have that 25% off time feat.

Last edited:

The trick is that you cannot work on more than one item per day, because everything has a "1,000gp per day, minimum of 1 day" note.

SRD said:
Creating an item requires one day per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least one day. Potions are an exception to this rule; they always take just one day to brew.

However, you may create a single scroll with multiple spells on it. So, at 1,000gp per day, you could create a scroll with 40 copies of Magic Missile at CL 1. However, see your DM about what limits he wants set on spells / scroll; there's no randomly generated treasure scroll with more than 6 spells (so he might use that limitation) or he might come up with another (one DM of mine allowed 9 spell levels per scroll).

The minimum is 1 day, not 6 hours. This feat comes in handy is when you are working on something that would have taken a month to create, and you can knock a whole week off of the creation time.

cmanos

First Post
yuou can create a single scroll with multiple spells on it. So you could scribe a scroll with 10 CL4 Magic Missiles in one day (provided you could memorize/cast 10 Magic Missiles in one day.

I believe the length of the scroll is 1' per spell....or is it 1' per spell level? I don't recall....

so a scroll with 40 CL1 spells on it would be 40 feet long. Just hope you aren't in a wet dungeon. And don't spill vinegar on the papyrus.

Denaes

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
The trick is that you cannot work on more than one item per day, because everything has a "1,000gp per day, minimum of 1 day" note.

However, you may create a single scroll with multiple spells on it. So, at 1,000gp per day, you could create a scroll with 40 copies of Magic Missile at CL 1. However, see your DM about what limits he wants set on spells / scroll; there's no randomly generated treasure scroll with more than 6 spells (so he might use that limitation) or he might come up with another (one DM of mine allowed 9 spell levels per scroll).

Ahh, I didn't catch that minimum of 1 day part, only the part in the actual section for each type of item.

The multiple spells on a scroll is a nice approach, obviously limited by money.

Normally you'd be limited by the readied spells you have - as it says when you scribe the spell, your prepared spell is used as if it were cast.

Now as an Artificer I don't have to worry about that. Mostly the XP and GP costs. I also have to worry about blowing my Use Magic Devices checks to emulate spells I don't have.

I'm not sure if I'm making a scroll with 5 spells (for a random example), if I blow one UMD both times for a single spell if I have flubbed the scroll or if it only has 4 spells on it.

I'm also not 100% clear if I were making a scroll with 5 Magic Missiles on it, if thats 5xUMD's checks or just one. But thats a question for an artificer thread.

The minimum is 1 day, not 6 hours. This feat comes in handy is when you are working on something that would have taken a month to create, and you can knock a whole week off of the creation time.

1 day of work is 8 hours for magic items, not 24 hours.

I have a Feat that gives me 25% off the creation time. You don't think it would knock 2 hours off a day?

Denaes said:
1 day of work is 8 hours for magic items, not 24 hours.

I have a Feat that gives me 25% off the creation time. You don't think it would knock 2 hours off a day?

No, because there's still a minimum of 1 day - and potions always take one day to brew, regardless of other concerns.

EDIT:

I believe that, if you check the text of your feat again, it says something like, "You reduce the base price of the item by 25% for purposes of calculating creation time."

Am I right?

Denaes

First Post
I believe that, if you check the text of your feat again, it says something like, "You reduce the base price of the item by 25% for purposes of calculating creation time."

Am I right?

Sounds something like that. I don't have my Eberron book on me so I can't quote exact wording.

If a potion is always a minimum of 8 hours, how about other items like Scrolls? Are they always a minimum of 8 hours as well?

Normally a Feat lets you alter/bypass/adjust a rule and allow you to do things that normally arn't the case. Thats why I'm not sure that a rule stating the genral rules wouldn't be altered by a feat saying otherwise.

Denaes said:
Sounds something like that. I don't have my Eberron book on me so I can't quote exact wording.

If a potion is always a minimum of 8 hours, how about other items like Scrolls? Are they always a minimum of 8 hours as well?

Making one item always takes a minimum of one day, regardless of the price. If I'm right about the feat (and I think I am), it works like this when you calculate the time you need to spend:

Without Feat:

Headband of Intellect +2 = 2^2 * 1,000 = 4,000gp / 1,000gp = 4 days
Potion of Mage Armor = 1 * 1 * 50gp = 50gp = 1 day

With Feat:

Headband of Intellect +2 = 2^2 * 1,000 = 4,000gp * .75 = 3,000 / 1,000gp = 3 days
Potion of Mage Armor = 1 * 1 * 50gp = 50gp * .75 = 37.5 = 1 day

Denaes

First Post
Making one item always takes a minimum of one day, regardless of the price. If I'm right about the feat (and I think I am), it works like this when you calculate the time you need to spend:

Without Feat:

Headband of Intellect +2 = 2^2 * 1,000 = 4,000gp / 1,000gp = 4 days
Potion of Mage Armor = 1 * 1 * 50gp = 50gp = 1 day

With Feat:

Headband of Intellect +2 = 2^2 * 1,000 = 4,000gp * .75 = 3,000 / 1,000gp = 3 days
Potion of Mage Armor = 1 * 1 * 50gp = 50gp * .75 = 37.5 = 1 day

If thats how it's worded, then that would make perfect sense. Well thanks for the input :)

Remove ads