• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating A Setting: Advent

Eosin the Red

First Post
My creative juices seemed to evaporate when my schedule changed and I wasn’t able to game with “my” group. (We’ve been together for close to 2 decades — some even longer.) This is my effort to perform CPR on that limp thing that tenaciously clings to life within me. Feel free to comment and offer suggestions as the mood moves you.

Advent is a setting that has been rolling around in my mind for a few months. Some mental gymnastics to limber the mind during the lull periods; I am sure that most of you know the feeling.

MY VISION
I wanted a visually stunning setting — lava flows, dark magic, shining heroes, small amounts of armor. A setting that divorced itself from my fondness for all things knightly. But that left the whys?

* Why would a king build his throne on an active volcano?
* Why would magic be different?
* Why would people generally forsake armor?
* Why no mounted knights?

The final ideas used a lose mix of Greek culture (David Gemmell’s Troy and Frank Miller’s 300) and the political structure of Star Wars for inspiration. Coincidentally, I was reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson who proved that there are new and creative manners to address magic. With that in mind, read to see how it unfolds. There is a caveat - this is a work in progress and with all such works I reserve the right to re-tread my footsteps and edit sections to help with integration or just cause I want to....

:cool:

Last edited:

Eosin the Red

First Post
INTRO
The warm Kaesian Sea hosts dozens — maybe hundreds — of inhabited islands; some are sprawling landmasses stretching onto the horizon while others are little more than a sandy reef. Here the song of the sea is one of love, protection, and substance. The inhabitants of the islands look to the Great Deep that all life came from with awe and reverence. It is vast and unconquerable like the human spirit.

The King’s Accord boldly stands as the first coalition of disparate and untrusting men along with the nations they lead. There is no grand past to guide decisions or influence dreams of the future. This fragile arraignment has teetered for a short century and is all but broken now that the Dorians have subjugated the war-like Jurea. Men and ships maneuver through dark waters searching for advantage against this dark fleet that they dare not oppose directly. A time of war is coming.

While bodies bow to the Overlord and the Accord Council in Dor, souls follow the faith of the Great Deep and the Curates who teach the lessons of the sea. Some islands follow their own faiths including strange gods, living idols, and even ancestor worship. Even these odd fellows placate the Great Deep when they venture into her grasp.

Empyreal magic descends from the heavens for which it is named. These arcane arts are mysterious and the practitioners secretive. Yet, even the blind knows that some wizards master the arts of light while other shroud themselves in darkness. There are also those imbued with the essence of magic called Empyreans - men seemingly born with the power of a demi-god, like the wizards their abilities are reflections of the sky.

Legends of other modes of magic are hinted at in texts and among scholars but few of these “other mages” make themselves known.

Eosin the Red

First Post
EMPYREAL MAGIC
Magic is the province of kings and those who serve them. How the talent is granted is a closely guarded secret known only to the most powerful. [This is a setting secret].

Empyreans come in several flavors called Foundations based on how their magic is expressed. There are two common foundations and one minor. Illuminators use a light based magic while Shadows obviously use magic based off of darkness. However, there is more to the magic than simple coloration.

Illuminators channel the power of light including things like fire, strength, purity, and clarity of thought. It is a discipline that demands much of those who would achieve the loftiest pinnacles of power. Illuminators enjoy reputations as honest brokers who command their powers for the good of the people.

Shadows, on the other hand, channel the powers of darkness including deception, fear, cold, and weakness. This Foundation delves into the foulest depths of the psyche and carries a well deserved reputation for leading to madness although there are many practitioners who retain an obvious moral compass. The sullied image suits the Shadows fine as they are often employed by the powerful to undertake tasks that others might find objectionable.

Furies channel the magic of the lesser Foundation typically believed to be storms. The powers commanded by these volatile Empyreans include those found in the tempestuous skies such as lightening, fog, wind, thunder, and rain. Like the storms for which they are named for Furies vary in temperance from a morning shower to cyclonic deluge. Furies are respected for their prowess both at sea and in combat.

MAGICAL TRADITIONS
There are several arcane traditions around the Kaesian Sea including some isolated on remote islands seldom visited by any save for the most desperate. Most Empyreans belong to no more than a handful of traditions.

The Golden Alliance
Foundation: Illuminator
Ranks: Acolyte, Archon, Adept, Master

The Veiled Rite
Foundation: Shadows
Ranks:

The Tempest Fellowship
Foundation: Furies
Ranks: child, mother/father, Grandmother/father

More to come.....

Pelwrath

First Post
Looking for.

Not sure whta you are looking for, so here is my two coppers...

Ghazeran Nil Urzkhan sat on his throne, surveying those of his court, both normal psycophants, overconfident courtiers, resident ambasaadors and other representatives as well as those just arriving. The throne, of a mauvish, black and red metal infussed rock, it was a gift from his great uncle-in-law. Dynizerian, a powerful Emir in the City of Brass. <i>Marraige hath its bounuses besides sex, power being one and almost as good as the first.</i>
The lava falls that graced both sides of the throne, radiated more than heat, they readiated the magic of fire and Ghazeran felt it cousing through his body, enhancing his already considerable skill as a Fire Mage. The most noteable aspect of Ghazeran was his effriti features, being a half-bread was thouight to be a curse, perhaps it was, for those who didn't understand that the curse was in thinking less of themselves.
They all don't understand why here. Oh, I could have built my citadel anywhere but an active volcano! Who would have the power, the termenity to even attempt to destroy it here!

I would see this location as ripe for furries. The furries could be memphits, elementals and/or other creatures of fire that live in the lava, perhaps sumonable. An anamistic/shinto perspective on the furries could be taklen, with any/all natural objects having a furry in/bound to them. Either natuarl skill or magical could summon them to do your bidding based on reaction and/or control.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
Thanks. I have Ex Liberus done but have never gotten around to posting it.

I guess I made a lair out of myself. If you want a strange Celtic-Arthurian setting overblown with Gothic undead then this might be the setting for you. :p

It'll take me year but eventually - Advent (I need a better name) will have the same treatment. Getting art and dressing suitable to the writing.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Pelwrath said:
Not sure whta you are looking for, so here is my two coppers...

Those were mainly questions that prompted the design of the setting. Me and mine tend to play much more mundane settings than yours... admittedly, the imagery is much the same and if I am allowed to say - fantastic. :D I like your ideas even if the execution is different.

So, the question might be better expressed as why would someone like Priam or Hector build their throne on the slopes of a volcano?

Robbs

First Post
Tagging onto the 'volcano as energy source' concept, his personal retinue could consist of azers or some similar fire-type. Now the lava falls, pools, etc. scattered throughout the palace become a transit system for his forces, and it makes any room with lava potentially 'bugged'! You get the cinematic image of figures silently emerging periodically from the streams, bending in close to whisper to their liege, then fading back into the lava. And he gets to see his enemies sweat having a face to face with him!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads