• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating a Shifter- advice on forms?

Tidus4444

First Post
I'm creating a level 5 Druid/ 5 Shifter for a new campaign my DM is starting up. The class seems extremely cool, but the choices are a bit overwhleming. I have no idea which things I should shift into as of now. If anyone knows of some way to sort the monsters in the MM by HD and type, I'd appreciate it. Any advice on which forms are good would be welcome as well. FYI, a level 5 shifter can shift 5 times/day, can shift into any form from diminutive to large, and can shift into the following types: magical beast, beast, plant, giant, vermin, animal, monstrous humanoid, humanoid.

TheBadElf

First Post
Check out the Chronotyryn in the Fiend Folio for a great combination of mobility and protection. Pity you don't get the Supernatural abilities, but the rest of the package is still pretty darn good.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
First of all: Are you using the 3.5 version of wild shape or the one written in Masters of the Wild? The shifter decreases a lot in power when you use the stupid 3.5 polymorph-related WS!

I like the shifter prc, lots of fun ... and shifters are cool but nasty (mostly for the DM), sometimes I remember that shifter girl from X-Men :cool: My shifter has been house-ruled: as a druid, he can't take undead, aberration, outsider, incorporeal, gaseous and construct forms, but he has gained fey forms and spell progression +1 per two levels. Still, I like it.

The troll is very useful in combat: it can wield weapons, has regeneration, good natural AC, rend and nice Str. Cast Protection from Fire before combat and you don't need to worry about fire ....

A unicorn is immune to charms and compulsions (yes, immunities are Ex!), might help against hold person spells etc...

Remove ads