• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating content

Mercador

Adventurer
So it seems I'll be forced to stay home another 2 weeks so I'm looking to do some creative stuff. When I was a teenager, my main hobby was creating content for TTRPG and I would like to try that again 25 years later, just to see if I'm still able to create a dungeon or two stories. Though, I don't know where to start, should I try to join a collaborative work (is there any?) or build my own? It's just for fun, I don't want to sell or anything, just create. Thanks!

aco175

Legend
You should download the template from DMsGuild to help with formatting and fonts. There is also the other template that looks more like the books which I forget the name and I know someone will fill in.

I tend to make modules out of the games my home group plays. I may flesh them out a bit more and post them on DMsGuild for others to get for free if they want. I figure that there are some people that could use the adventures and may not have time or cash to spend on them. I care enough about the hobby to give an adventure away to keep someone playing or get some young people into the game.

What to create. If it something you wish to share, then anything is helpful. Maps are good and I see several people making them. Same with new races and classes which are not my cup of tea, but many people like them.

You could start with a basic town to start a campaign in. Give several descriptions and a few hints of adventure. Some NPCs to meet and give quests are helpful. Then continue with a starter adventure and keep developing some new ideas around this as long as you feel the urge.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
See this post:

Or this site:

Mercador

Adventurer
You could start with a basic town to start a campaign in. Give several descriptions and a few hints of adventure. Some NPCs to meet and give quests are helpful. Then continue with a starter adventure and keep developing some new ideas around this as long as you feel the urge.
Good starting point, thanks! I think a map of the small town could get me started. Is there a way to make content system agnostic?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Good starting point, thanks! I think a map of the small town could get me started. Is there a way to make content system agnostic?
Use descriptive language rather than numbers. The blacksmith is barrel chested and immensely strong for example. Highlight aspects that index possible stats and/or skills and would help a GM portray the NPC in-game, plus an aspect or two that would serve as a shorthand description. The Duke's Chancellor, Raek Fallister, is a tall cadaverous older man with piercing blue eyes, he is soft spoken and very perceptive and has a flair for diplomacy and negotiation. Past that, I'd add a goal or two to give the NPC some teleos - The Chancellor is committed to the Duke's rule and will do just about anything to maintain the security of the realm, sometimes without the Duke's knowledge. To finish, I'd add in some faction info to help define the NPCs allies and enemies (if appropriate) - Raek despises the Duke's older son Guy and thinks he will make a terrible Duke. Raek works closely with Devos, the Captain of the Duke's guard. Presto, one well defined system agnostic NPC.

Mercador

Adventurer
Woah, that's quite good actually. Thanks for the tip Fenris!

I wish I could write in English too but it won't be the same, it would be a bad translation of my mind eye.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Woah, that's quite good actually. Thanks for the tip Fenris!

I wish I could write in English too but it won't be the same, it would be a bad translation of my mind eye.
Point form in the language of your choice will get the same job done. (y) The point is to give a GM some hooks to work with. Likes, dislikes, and motivations are key though, because that's what informs the NPCs actions, rather than simply describing what they look like. I'd treat this more like a spectrum than a recipe too, the more important the NPC the more information I'd include, so the results range from a quick pencil sketch to a rich portrait in oils.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Point form is sometimes better for use in actual play anyway because it's easier to reference quickly. I might decide on the equivalent of a stat block, and present the information in some kind of standard format, so the same info is in the same order for every NPC, faction, or place.

Writing locations is similar, you just need some key descriptive info and a list of features that might affect how PCs would interact with it.

Mercador

Adventurer
Thanks, I'll try that way then and see how it goes, I'm curious to see if it will be easier that way. I have plenty of ideas but writing them down is stressful for a reason that I don't get.

Remove ads