• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating Magic Items

pfloyd

The Dude Abides
I want to create a new magic item that I don't think is in any of the books. It's primarily for Monks or any other character who tends to fight unarmed/empty-handed.

My primary question is this: How does the level of the magic item relate to the properties and abilities? For
example, a +1 weapon is a Level 1 item, and a +2 is a Level 6 item.
A +1 Flaming weapon is a level 5 item, and a +1 Frost weapon is level 3.

I get where the enhancement bonus depends on the weapon level, if there is a bonus.
Here's my question, and if it's listed somewhere else, I may not have seen it...
How do powers and other attributes affect the level of the item?

This may help me build some artifacts or artifact-like devices as well... knowing full well that they're a different animal.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
This is definitely more art than science. I look at it as there being five tiers for each type of magic item. Tier 1 has no special property (+1 Magic Longsword). Tier 2 has a minor special property, and so on. Tier 5 has a really awesome special property. You'll have to go by feel to decide for yourself what tier your new item belongs in. If it's much stronger than most of the other magic items out there, it's probably Tier 5. But again, this is art, not science.

A +1 Tier 3 item is level 3. The same item in a +2 version (still Tier 3) would be a level 8 item; at +3 it would be level 13, and so on.

I don't believe WotC has released any guidelines on creating your own magic items in 4th Edition D&D, but if you use good judgment in comparing your item to existing items, you should be able to set a reasonable level for it.

Ryujin

Legend
As OnlineDM said, it's not by a set of hard and fast rules. The general guidelines that he stated are good. To those I would add try to avoid untyped bonuses, as they can lead to unintended consequences. When you look at the properties that you want to give an item, compare them to things that already exist. Do they seem roughly equal in power?

the Jester

Legend
Is there an echo in here? Yeah, there aren't any actual guidelines, and when you add in the rarity rules it's even more unclear. Honestly, your best bet will be to write it up and post it on ENWorld for feedback. :)

Zaran

Adventurer
I have always felt that 4e magic items were lacking in uniqueness so what I do instead of creating my own magic item is add to existing items to make them different and gives the player a mystery to find out what's different. If it's just a superficial ability, like making Sunblades polymorphable to any light or heavy blade weapon, I won't change the level. If it does add something to the power of the weapon, like increasing the crit damage or adding a condition I would up the level +1. If it's already at the max level before it switches to the next enhancement then you wouldn't up it's level.

If you use existing items, then it's alot easier to use the CB and make slight alterations.

Remove ads