• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating magical items in a rare magic world

dcollins

Explorer
Ascii King said:
Some of the rules in 3.5 seem stupid to me. Having a rule that dictates how much treasure can be sold for is useless. If it is just a suggested price, then that is fine. What is the purpose of that rule? To limit creativity? As a DM, I wouldn't want to waste any time arguing with a player about how the rules say the local baron needs to pay at least 50% of it's total value for an item. Is this a role-playing game or a computer game?

- What is the purpose? Simplicity.
- What kind of game is it? Role-playing, not an economic simulator.
- Why argue with players? Don't, they get 50% value, end of story.

Ascii King

First Post
The argument would come when I want to give the players more or less than 50%. The opening pages of the DMG in 2E said that the rules were just there to help the DM and players live ther situations they imagined. The rules could and should be changed to suit the needs.

If a local baron is willing to pay more for an item because he can afford to or a peasant offers less because that's all he has, then that's the way it is. Period. DM's discretion.

So, my players found a Crown of God which is an enchantment item that has been blessed by a god. The item allows you to take control of all of the poeple on a specific continent. The characters decide to sell this thing and they can only sell it for 50% of it's manufacturing cost because "It's used and has been dinged up a bit"? C'mon. The rules are there to help you play, not to force you to play a certain way. :confused:

cordell

First Post
Well, it is true that the rule only mentions items recovered as loot. Certainly, if you want to play the rules as written, then this rule would not apply to items created by a PC. Technically, it wouldnt apply to items *purchased* from an NPC, either. Would it apply to items which are "gifts"? Is a gift actually "loot"? What's the game definition of "loot?

So, as a DM, I suppose you could rule that there are different selling prices for a +1 longsword which is created by a player, and a +1 longsword which is found in a dungeon in a chest, even though they are exactly the same sword. Many DM's don't do it that way, they just interpret the "recovered loot" portion as applying to all sold items, and rule that its always 50%. As other posters have said, it's just easier that way.

I completely agree with you that Creation Feats are not worth it for a character, if he/she is looking to make a profit. But that's another story.

edit: oh, and in the FAQ example, it's not clear to me who they mean by "seller". Isn't the "seller" in that example the NPC who is upgrading the weapon? Not that it really matters.

Last edited:

Applying the Used Goods versus New Goods to the real world, look at New and Used Cars. Forgetting about those lemons out there, as soon as you drive a new car off a lot it drops by nearly 1/2 of its value. It sure as heck doesn't many any darn bit of sense, but thats the way it is (and we're not talking about arbitary rules a DM can change here). For me, at least, thats how I view the Loot and PC Created Items - one is used and one is new. The market says you get a higher price for the new things (even though I swear those new cars break down more then the old ones!)

Last edited:

Mulkhoran

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
Be outraged. We are only following the RAW.

Oh, please. You're "following" a bit of questionable text about how to distribute treasure on one page of the PHB. Selling costs aren't even referenced in the DMG.

"Magic items, for instance, can be sold, but only for half of what they would cost to buy, so it’s usually better for characters to keep them."

It's hardly "the rule on how much you can sell items for".

If you want to point out (as you did), all the many good reasons to only allow people to sell manufactured items at 50%, fine. But don't go firing off "RAW!" just because someone disagrees with you.

In any case, as people have pointed out, the text could just as easily be interpereted as anybody, including merchants, trying to sell items.

Remove ads