Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Rystil Arden said:
Hmmm...if you want to get Greek, then let's do it, I still have my Robin Osborne Greece in the Making textbook next to my bed, and I think that in some sense Sparta is an excellent analogy for Eyros. In this case, comparing your proposal to Sparta, I would place the elves and maybe dwarves in the position of the helots, the elves being analagous to the Messenians conquered by the Lakedaimonians early in their career of invasion after coming in from the North. The human merchants and lower class, up until this point at least, were analogues to the Periokoi, not the helots. You see, in Sparta, the full-ranking Spartiates who made up the core of the army and made political decisions as part of the gerousia (similar to the Eyrian orc-dominated Pillar nobility) , were actually *not allowed* to hold mercantile positions because it was felt that wealth corrupted them. Instead, the Perioikoi, free men who were not full politically powerful citisens but were nonetheless above the slavish helots, were the ones who were mainly farmers and merchants, sometimes making quite the profits for themselves since they had no competition from the Spartiates (often Perioikoi came from conquered areas that the Spartans favoured, so they just payed tribute to Sparta and got protection in return, like the Roman Empire). In Eyros so far, humans have been basically Perioikoi to the Orcs' Spartiates. In fact, every single merchant we have created so far, whether Pillar or non-Pillar, has been human, and the soldiers have been orcs. Your suggestion reduces the humans from Perioikoi to Helots, a position that up til now was held by the elves and maybe the dwarves.

I don't know much, but I do know ancient Greece.

I can accept humans as Perioikoi and have no problem in them being seen as such (along with orcs, gnomes and eigth-Orcs etc) However I envisaged the Elfs (Masks) as having the status of Chattel Slaves rather than Helots, which I know is a fine distinction but a real one nonetheless (eg Helots could not be 'sold' by their masters, and were allowed to acquire wealth in their own right).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Rystil Arden said:
Also, from the perspective of playing in this setting, the decision to disallow weapons among the lower classes is not a considerate one. It means that if I want to play a low-born level 1 fighter in Eyros, I can't. I have to make a noble or "powerful commoner" in order to have a weapon, unlessI want to get arrested .

Aah yes thats a personal bias showing through as I often preach that adventurers ought to be either high born (ie the younger sons of nobles and or powerful commoners - ie the millers son type thing) OR are anaethema to social norm (ie the one likely to be arrested).
Then again there is a club, the staff, the hunting bow and the dagger- all non-weapon weapons

Rystil Arden

First Post
Tonguez said:
I can accept humans as Perioikoi and have no problem in them being seen as such (along with orcs, gnomes and eigth-Orcs etc) However I envisaged the Elfs (Masks) as having the status of Chattel Slaves rather than Helots, which I know is a fine distinction but a real one nonetheless (eg Helots could not be 'sold' by their masters, and were allowed to acquire wealth in their own right).
Well first, most elves aren't Masks, only the wizards are and that's a small percentage of actual elves. That aside, you are absolutely right that there is a fine distinction between chattel slaves and helots. Helots actually weren't allowed to acquire wealth (that was the Perioikoi), but instead sent all the surplus food and resources to the Spartiates, allowing the Spartans to keep a well-trained standing army with those resources that was the envy of all Greece until they were defeated by Epimenondas and his Sacred Band strategy. But helots weren't chattel, they were more like serfs, tied to the land. In fact, no society had both a helot class and chattel slaves because there was no need for both, one of the two groups was sufficient (ancient societies did have hostage-slaves and conquered-slaves, but these were treated significantly better than chattel slaves and often allowed to gain positions of high status and power, despite belonging to the master, often adopting the name of their master like Terence, the famous Roman playwright of The Andrian Girl, who was a Greek slave adopted by a guy named Terentius). Chattel slavery is a relatively-modern concept that was the result of a centuries-long expansion of colonialism and imperialism that may well have had its roots in the 12th century by the writings of the Norman historian William of Malmesbury, who was the first to view fellow Christians as inferiors and barbarians, resurrecting Classical racial views in a world that had for the most part been divided into Christian/non-Christian up until his writings. Whether William was the catalyst or not, the actual practise of chattel slavery didn't show up until much later.

But yeah, the Masks aren't really Helots because they are magically compelled. That doesn't stop us from making the non-Mask elves into helot equivalents if we want to though, and indeed, noone has said anything about them yet (in fact if you changed the race on your helot-like villeins to elves, I think it would fit perfectly).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Tonguez said:
Aah yes thats a personal bias showing through as I often preach that adventurers ought to be either high born (ie the younger sons of nobles and or powerful commoners - ie the millers son type thing) OR are anaethema to social norm (ie the one likely to be arrested).
Then again there is a club, the staff, the hunting bow and the dagger- all non-weapon weapons
I would actually say that while I agree with you on most of your "non-weapon weapons," I'm going to have to disagree on the hunting-bow for most agricultural societies. Indeed, even in relatively lenient cultures that allowed the lower class to have bows (one of the few weapons that they could easily be trained to use, like in Henry V's successful Agincourt strategy), all the best hunting areas were generally owned by the nobility, with strict hunting laws imposed on those who would go hunting in the nobles' forests. So really, the lower class probably has no business with a hunting bow except in non-agricultural hunting cultures or if they're allowed weapons

domino

First Post
So dwarves are outlawed, elves are either magically bonded slaves or effectively outcast. Half-elves are still more or less fine, right?

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
So dwarves are outlawed, elves are either magically bonded slaves or effectively outcast. Half-elves are still more or less fine, right?
Half-elves seem to be perfectly fine, particularly House Kiron half-elves, and a player who wants to play an elf could play as an elf who lived in House Kiron lands (since they freed their Masks, they probably also gave higher status to their Villeins, especially since they went and married some of them). Dwarves don't seem to be outlawed so much as dwarven culture an language, a fine distinction but an important one. Loyal dwarves are fine, but it seems like the opinion is that having their own culture breeds their separatism. Its similar to how in Nennius's account of the Historia Brittonum the Britons who come to Gaul and establish the land of Brittany take Gaulish wives, but they cut out the wives' tongues to prevent their children from learning the language (ouch!), so that they could keep their British culture.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
domino said:

Elfs are Serfs - conquered people tied to the land and obliged to serve their conquerers

Half-Elfs are 'fine' as they are Human-blooded (ergo Half-Elfs probably use their human parents name as their surname)

Remove ads