• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Creative solutions to the hypothetical GWF/Sharpshooter issue

Cernor

Explorer
I'm fortunate enough to have a table where only one person cares about how powerful his character is compared to the others, so our party Sharpshooter's damage isn't making the rest of the players feel inadequate... However, I try to implement enough encounters where the Sharpshooter (and previous GWM before he was retired) have to rely on weapons other than their primary ones. For example, if the GWM is mobbed, the +2 bonus from using a shield is more than enough to offset the extra damage they'd deal -- especially if the mob requires a 17-18 to hit so the bonus would halve or quarter how often they'd get hit. Maybe they're fighting in a hallway too cramped for their weapon to be used effectively, or the Sharpshooter gets surrounded with no way to Disengage so has to switch to melee.

Those aren't exactly creative solutions, but I find them to be more fair (and more entertaining) than simply nerfing the feats.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Change GWM to: for each -1 attack and -1 to your AC, gain +2 damage (max 10). Penalties last until start of your next turn.

Black_Staff

First Post
this is a problem that stems from two issues. The first one is ambiguity in the RAW, the second one is lack of defensive gear. The first problem is easily addressed by active DMs who make sounds judgement calls where the rules are unclear. the second problem is easily fixed by adding new shields and splitting them into two categories.

Light Shields
Targe - This small shield is strapped to the forearm, allowing the hand to remain free. Gives +2 AC if proficient. -4 ATK to bonus attacks and 2H weapon attacks

Buckler - this light shield offers protection without hindering maneuverability. +4 AC if Proficient

Heavy Shields

Tower Shield - Prerequisite 18 STR.
+6 AC
spend reaction to for total cover.
Disadvantage on DEX saves

this is a start. feel free to add to the list if you think of a good one

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
this is a problem that stems from two issues. The first one is ambiguity in the RAW, the second one is lack of defensive gear. The first problem is easily addressed by active DMs who make sounds judgement calls where the rules are unclear. the second problem is easily fixed by adding new shields and splitting them into two categories.

Light Shields
Targe - This small shield is strapped to the forearm, allowing the hand to remain free. Gives +2 AC if proficient. -4 ATK to bonus attacks and 2H weapon attacks

Buckler - this light shield offers protection without hindering maneuverability. +4 AC if Proficient

Heavy Shields

Tower Shield - Prerequisite 18 STR.
+6 AC
spend reaction to for total cover.
Disadvantage on DEX saves

this is a start. feel free to add to the list if you think of a good one

The base shield is only +2. Making two smaller lighter shields that allow use of hands AND higher AC bonus is a bit extreme.

I'd add two new shields;

Buckler - +1 AC allows two weapon fighting or defensive bonus per round.

Tower - +4 AC with a 15 STR, reduces movement by 5

Black_Staff

First Post
The base shield is only +2. Making two smaller lighter shields that allow use of hands AND higher AC bonus is a bit extreme.

I'd add two new shields;

Buckler - +1 AC allows two weapon fighting or defensive bonus per round.

Tower - +4 AC with a 15 STR, reduces movement by 5

I should have mentioned, my idea removes "shield" as an item and replaces it with actual shields. The reason I give such high AC is that it makes the damage trade-off easier to stomach. As usual, it is the DMs responsibility to control when his players have access to equipment.

Paraxis

Explorer
I am not sure if anybody noticed, but rogues actually have the highest non-magical damage potential

No they don't, no magic items and no spells a fighter still does more damage.

Fighter - Great Weapon Fighting style - great weapon master (feat)

That is 4 attacks doing 2d6+5+10 each (8d6+20+40) min 68, average 88, max 108.

Compared to 1 attack from a rogue using sharpshooter(feat) that is doing d8+5+10+10d6(sneak attack) min 26, average 55, max 83.

We could change things up and use bonus actions for an extra attack each, but the rogue can only sneak once, or talk critical hits but the fighter will get more of them so even accounting for the doubling of all those sneak attack dice the frequency of the fighters criticals will pull it ahead especially if champion. I didn't go with battlemaster that would add extra damage for the fighter too.

The rogue hits big once and it seems amazing, but the fighter makes many more attacks.

And everything that does buff attack damage like magic helps the fighter more because they make more attacks.

Black_Staff

First Post
No they don't, no magic items and no spells a fighter still does more damage.

Fighter - Great Weapon Fighting style - great weapon master (feat)

That is 4 attacks doing 2d6+5+10 each (8d6+20+40) min 68, average 88, max 108.

Compared to 1 attack from a rogue using sharpshooter(feat) that is doing d8+5+10+10d6(sneak attack) min 26, average 55, max 83.

We could change things up and use bonus actions for an extra attack each, but the rogue can only sneak once, or talk critical hits but the fighter will get more of them so even accounting for the doubling of all those sneak attack dice the frequency of the fighters criticals will pull it ahead especially if champion. I didn't go with battlemaster that would add extra damage for the fighter too.

The rogue hits big once and it seems amazing, but the fighter makes many more attacks.

And everything that does buff attack damage like magic helps the fighter more because they make more attacks.

POINTS!!!

Remove ads