• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Spell Casting Stories

clvrmonkey

First Post
I don't have any but I would love to hear of creative uses for different spells. This is partially inspired by the "your favorite word for command" thread, and more specifically by Canada_K's post:

The players were all chained to the floor in a prison cell. They needed to draw the jailor into the room so they could get the keys. The cleric cast "command", spread his arms open and said:

"Hug"

Jeph

Explorer
I don't really have any either. But it was cool the time that Corlon dropped this car on this guy. Thing is, the other 2 PCs were in the car at the time. :eek:

Luckily, it was Feng Shui, so they all ended up fine. :D

brun

First Post
I'll tell you of the time that my players screwed me. I was too kind with wish. But not any more!

So the players managed to get their hands on a Robe of the archmage. There is no wizard in the party. Nor any arcane spellcaster. (Not even a divine spellcaster...) So, they are 5th level, and this robe is about all their fortune. After leaving a town, where they arrassed the big wizard high-up for petty things, they encounter 2 ogres on the road. They are decimated. Literally. They rolled very low. Only the rogue manage to survive and flee, and,l uckily, he was the one carrying the robe.

He goes back to town, meet the wizard and, after apologizing for their previous talk, makes a deal with him. He exchanges the robe for the mage to cast a wish spell. (The wizard tought it was a good deal, since the robe is worth a whole lot more). What is the wish?

To go back in time to the previous morning

And I said: ok, it worked, but none of you has any knowledge of wath happened or what is to come, ok?

When they met the ogres, the dice rolled great, and they survived with barely a scratch.

So, they do not have to go back in time. And since they do not, they do not have to exchange the Robe of the Archmage either.
They still have it. I got screwed.

Last edited:

I was running a game with relatively high-level (low to mid-teens) characters (this was the second campaign with the same party). Someone is attack the family and friends of the PCs, and the wizard comes home to find the top floor of his house on fire.

No weather spells memorized. In fact, very few non-combat spells memorized.

He put the fire out--with a fireball.

Yes. Really.

He cast the fireball about 25 feet above the roof of the house. He reasons--and I had to agree with him--that a sudden burst of flame like that was going to suck a lot of the oxygen out of the immediate area. It would only be a temporary, almost instantaneous thing, of course--but it was enough to smother the fire in his house.

I've had a few creative spell uses myself--casting heat metal on a bag full of silver coins and dropping the molten result over an enemy, or casting knock on the saddle cinches of an enemy charging me on horseback--but nothing quite on the fireball scale.

CerebralAssassin

First Post
In a high level campaign (currently on hiatus) that I was in, I (rogue13/fighter1) had an intelligent hat that cast spells as a 10th level wizard.

In a combat, I had the hat cast stinking cloud around a couple of enemies, ran in with my portable hole, set it on the ground, grabbed the wizard, and threw him in the hole, picked the hole up and backed out of there.

Nathan Hawks
The Cerebral Assassin

Ace

Adventurer
We had a second level Wizard take out a grip of fighters in a game I ran

The fighters, actually dimensionally stranded slave raiders were coming down the gang plank of their ship at top speed.

As his buddies fired away with their bows and guns (it was one of those powderpunk settings) the wizard waited till the plank was full and ZAP

Grease spell

Right into the bay

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
In the last 2e campaign I ran, a couple of my players made heavy use of a special maneuver they called the Grinder.

If any metal-using foe caused them problems, the Cleric would cast Blade Barrier and the Wizard would then cast Superior Magnetism on the blades. Since the party would all hang back when they did this, the casters would throw it behind the approaching enemies-- who'd all be sucked into the terrible, terrible bladage.

Victim

First Post
Well, when fighting a golem, I cast stoneshape on the floor beneath it, and dropped it into the next the dungeon level. Unfortunately, one of my cleric's companions was stupid enough to get pulled into the hole and into the room below. Since the room contained a big Fire Elemental, we were sucked into an even tougher fight than before. Sigh.

While I've never used this trick, I've always wanted to have a cleric and wizard coordinate their actions for a simultaneous Create Water and Cone of Cold to freeze someone in place. Old school Transmute Dust to Water would work better though.

Remove ads