• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Advancement

Dendread

First Post
Okay, just a question of those of you out there that may know...

Creature Advancement. I've got a wight. Wights advance by having thier HD increase. But I want to give this wight levels in Fighter. Is this a "no-no" or am I just missing the rules for alternate advancement in the SRD?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
~Wes

Li Shenron

Legend
Altamont Ravenard said:
I don't think you're prohibited from giving your Wight fighter levels. Adding class levels to a wight simply isn't how they "usually" advance.

AR

If you like the idea, there is no restriction, and in fact there are creatures in WotC products that use level advencement even if their standard advancement is by HD. At least I remember Redbone, a Wight Assassin in Enemies & Allies and one adventure.

edit: I mean, the only real restriction is if the DM thinks it's not suitable; I hate the idea of having animal Rangers for example, but some people have used even them :rolleyes: . A common guideline is that to have class levels the creature should have at least human-like Intelligence (3+ or at least it shouldn't be mindless), opposable thumbs to use equipment, and a language or mean of communication to use knowledge.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Li Shenron said:
I hate the idea of having animal Rangers for example, but some people have used even them :rolleyes:

If not a ranger, how about using a level of barbarian to build an exceptionally large, mean dog? Or the head of the wolfpack?

:)

Madfox

First Post
You might want to take a look at the mummy section in MM 3.5. They have a mummy example with cleric levels. What irks me though, is that all templated undead change HD of classes into d12 and increase the DC of their special abilities as well. The mummy cleric though gains d8 HD and the DCs do not increase. Without a constitution score adding lower HD then d12 really hurts fighting classes like fighters and clerics and since the DC of special abilities is not modified, they become laughable at higher levels. So personally I give tend to give them d12 HD and upgrade the DC.

In any event, as others have said, you can add class levels to about anything with an intelligence of 3+. WotC and Monte Cook certainly do so in their published materials.

Li Shenron

Legend
Madfox said:
You might want to take a look at the mummy section in MM 3.5. They have a mummy example with cleric levels. What irks me though, is that all templated undead change HD of classes into d12 and increase the DC of their special abilities as well. The mummy cleric though gains d8 HD and the DCs do not increase. Without a constitution score adding lower HD then d12 really hurts fighting classes like fighters and clerics and since the DC of special abilities is not modified, they become laughable at higher levels. So personally I give tend to give them d12 HD and upgrade the DC.

Well the DC is hurt not more than a spellcaster ability when he multiclasses, and here the monster is multiclassing his "monster class" with a core class.

He can still qualify to take Ability Focus feat at least, which raises the DC by 2 which is mostly equivalent to 4 HD or levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads