• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature based on a bag of holding

Gromnar

First Post
Hi everyone,

I'm making a custom monster for 3.5. Long story short, the characters infiltrated and successfully disrupted a major church of Talona by killing a high priest, destroying some of their corrupted creatures and making off with a bunch of their poisons, diseases and antidotes to both (the former of which they plan on destroying) in a bag of holding.

I thought it would be neat to add an unusual element to things; two of the vials have broken inside the bag. One was a vial of bebilith venom, the other vial of talona's blight (disease, based off of Unapprochable East's Blightlord ability). I'm thinking that they've mixed together in the bag, and along with Talona's urging (the characters did gain her notice through their raid of her grand temple), an evil, unique creature was created to combat them from the combination of the mixed ingreidents and the bag itself.

So far I've come up with a creature similar to an Otyugh, except with better stats and the Corrupted template from BoVD. However, I want to make its bite attack as part of the bag of holding. When grappled and swallowed, or the like, what should the effect be? For this I'm kind of stumped.

Any help would be appreciated!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I suggested using a Bag of Devouring in another thread as an insta-kill device. to quote that post, in part:
I recall suggesting that a bag of devouring be used as an insta-kill device. Fasten a cord of some sort around the outside designed so that the bag could be pulled tightly closed around an inserted object. Drop a piece of meat or vegetable or a small mouse or something in first to get it primed, then toss it over the head of an opponent, or arm, or sneak it over the tip of the dragon's tail, big toe, whatever. If you can keep the bag fastened around the target creature for enough rounds to trigger the 60% chance of getting sucked in, you've got an insta-kill.

Gromnar

First Post
This is the creature, as I've finished with it. Comments are welcome. The base creature was an otyugh, modified with new abilities and adding the corrupted creature template, finally with some tweaks.

Note: The creature is facing a party of 3 level 13 gestalt characters, each of them with cohorts in a high leveled campaign.

Spawn of Talona
Size/Type: Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8 (180 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Tentacle +15 melee (1d8) or Bite +16 (2d6)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +15 melee (1d8) and Bite +16 (2d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: Disease, disruptive attack, improved grab, poison, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/-, Darkvision 60 ft., dimensional rift, enhanced power, fast healing 6, tainted slime, Vulnerabilities, immune to acid, disease, poison, mind-effects, SR 22
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +9
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 12, Con 25, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Feats:
Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Environment: Unique
Organization: None
Challenge Rating:14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Dimensional Rift (Su)

A medium or smaller creature that is swallowed by a Spawn of Talona enters a dimensional rift inside the creature. This rift can hold 3 medium sized or 6 small creatures. When inside the rift, any creatures and items are slowly transitioned across the planes. Creatures within the dimensional rift take 3d6 points of damage as the transition rips them apart. The transition takes two full rounds. At the end of the second round, the creature is deposited in Talona’s realm in the Barrens of Doom and Despair. If the Spawn of Talona is destroyed before the full transition takes place, the creature remains on the material plane and immediately appears in a space the Spawn of Talona was occupying.

Disease (Ex)

Talona's Touch—bite, tentacle, Fortitude DC 27, incubation period 1d6 rounds; damage 1d4 Constitution and 1d4 Charisma. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Disruptive Attack (Su)

The corrupt creature deals 6 vile damage when it touches uncorrupted, living, corporeal nonoutsiders.

Improved Grab (Ex)

To use this ability, a Spawn of Talona must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can swallow whole on the next round.

Poison (Ex)

Bebilith Venom—bite, tentacle, Fortitude DC 27, initial damage 1d6 Constitution, secondary damage 2d6 Constitution. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex)

A Spawn of Talona can try to swallow a grabbed Medium or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check.

Tainted Slime (Ex)

A Spawn of Talona leaves a green slime wherever it goes. This slime is essentially part of the creature itself, left behind as it moves. All living creatures within 10 feet of a Spawn of Talona and those that enter a square that the Spawn has been in must succeed on a DC 27 Fortitude save or receive 1 point of taint. Creatures that remain within the range of the Spawn must continue to save against the taint each round. Previous squares that have this effect only contain the tainted slime for two rounds before it becomes unstable and turns into harmless ash. A creature immune to taint is immune to this ability.

Vulnerabilities (Ex)

As a being made up of poison, disease, taint and vileness, a Spawn of Talona can be affected by any spell or ability that removes disease or taint and neutralizes poison. In such a case, the Spawn of Talona takes d10 damage, with a number of dice equal to the spell level of the spell cast, with no saving throw or spell resistance allowed. In addition, a Spawn of Talona suffers the same effects an undead creature would in the area of effect of a consecrate or unhallow spell.

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
The creature behind the bag of devouring is known as an Ihagnim...it was detailed in Dragon 86, and also discussed in Dragon 271.

Your writeup above looks a little more interesting though.

Remove ads