• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature body parts?

Voadam

Legend
Hackmaster and AD&D 2e had this type of information with the monster descriptions.

A few 3e/d20 monsters do but it is pretty rare and I am not aware of a comprehensive list for the MM/srd monsters.

Thomas Percy

First Post
I'm always dreaming of playing the dwarf smith, who started adventuring to collect monsters body parts to reforge them into enchanted armors and weapons.

kenobi65

First Post
Thomas Percy said:
I'm always dreaming of playing the dwarf smith, who started adventuring to collect monsters body parts to reforge them into enchanted armors and weapons.

In a 1E game I played back in the '80s, I was playing a CN dwarven fighter. He started collecting body parts of his vanquished foes -- he specialized in orc kneecaps. He had a bag of holding that he used to cart such stuff home.

Eventually, he had enough GP that he bought a bar, and he used the parts to decorate said bar. The entire front of the bar itself was "bricked" with orc kneecaps. He had peryton antlers as coathooks, stuffed stirges hanging from wires from the ceiling, and a stuffed ogre standing by the front door, like a cigar-store Indian. ;)

It would seem to me easy to divide it up thusly

Type I parts - worth X gp per hit die; sell in Ye Olde Monnstir Guttes Shoppe

Type II parts - a specific list that you create worth x gp x 100 x hit die - the "magic item" in and amongst the gold, silver and copper of the skin, flesh, blood and odd random internal organ.

I use a Survival check (based on the CR of the critter) to extract the part from the critter... And then a Craft (Alchemy) check (generally at the same DC as the first one) to refine it into whatever form you need it in to function as a component for a metamagic component, magic item bit, or whatever... In general, anything can be useful as a component for something, so long as they are thematically linked.

Parts to be so used 'go bad" pretty quickly, so as to keep the players from dissecting each and every critter they come across.

Later
silver

Pell-Mell

First Post
The Complete Mage, Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds contain rules for optional material spell components that are usually creature bits.

There is also the Trophy Collector feat from Player's Handbook II.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads