• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
actually, i was thinking that the kenku has 4 stat blocks, so i could just call it 10 with that... the 1/2 ogre and aerial servant were in the Tome of Horrors, so we won't be updating those either. the Inqusitor we actually just reconverted a few weeks ago (yay!) so it should be added to the Creature Catalog soon.

since i said to Tzeentch first that he could replace his second pick, i'll give him either the fungus hulk or werebadger (really just a modification on the lycanthrope template) and the krakentua will just have to wait till next time. :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
You can bump my rilmani selection over to the Planescape thread if you'd like, since the rest of them will be coming up soon, right? :D That should make room for the krakentua.

Tzeentch

First Post
FUNGUS HULK
Medium Plant

Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+9 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+8
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4+6 plus disease)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+6 plus disease)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Disease
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, plant traits, resistance to fire 10
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +0*, Listen +5, Move Silently +4
Feats: Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claws)
Environment: Temperate and warm forest, marsh, and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium-size); 10-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +??

A large humanoid lurches into view, its misshapen body concealed under a ragged cloak. A violet liquid drips from its voluminous wrappings.

Centuries ago, sorcerous energies left over from a bid for immortality combined warped and combined an unusual fungi found in the area with the nearby volcano's energy. the results were the sentient fungoids known as fungus hulks.

At a distance, a fungus hulk resembles a bulky, hunchbacked humanoid wearing a concealing cloak. Closer inspection (20 feet or less) reveals its true form; a spore-bearing mass, surmounted by a head-shaped puffball. Sticky filaments protrude from the puffball.

The fungus hulk’s body is a thick carapace of limestone (the hulk absorbs it into its body from the surrounding area). Its “hands” end in sharp, dagger-like claws made of obsidian (again, absorbed into its body from its environment). The claws are covered in a violet-colored liquid that oozes from the fungus hulk’s body.

COMBAT
Fungus hulk's usually roam aimlessly around their home area, but they are quick to attack any potential food sources. Fungus hulk's move into close combat as soon as possible, concentrating on one opponent and rending with their obsidian claws until the victim stops moving.

Disease (Ex): A creature hit by a fungus hulk claw attack must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or be infected with a vile disease known as violet death. the incubation period is 1 minute, and the disease deals 1d6 points of Constition damage. The victim must make two successful Fortitude saving throws in a row to recover.

Skills: * Fungus hulks receive a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks when in swampy or forested areas.

Last edited:

Tzeentch

First Post
OTYUGH, NEO
Large Aberration

Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (58 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+11
Attack: Tentacle +5 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +5 melee (1d6+1) and bite -1 melee (1d4 plus disease)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d6, disease, improved grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +7
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 9, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +3*, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Environment: Underground
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 10-11 HD (Large); 12-17 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +??

????.

A neo-otyugh is a larger, more intelligent version of a normal otyugh. The hide of a neo-otyugh is even tougher than that of an otyugh, although the appearance is similar.

Combat
Neo-otyughs are very aggressive, much more so than otyughs. Unlike their lesser kin, neo-otyughs often leave their lairs and actively search for prey. They attack in a manner identical to other otyughs.

Constrict (Ex): An neo-otyugh deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.

Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1d3 days; damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an neo-otyugh must hit with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Skills: *An neo-otyugh has a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks when in its lair, due to its natural coloration.

Skills Hide 8 ranks (-4 Size, -1 Dex), Listen 6 ranks (+1 Wis), Move Silently 5 ranks (-1 Dex), Spot 5 ranks (+1 Wis)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, i've decided on the following beasties for this round:

Feystag
Fungus Hulk
Gorynych
Kenku (4 varieties)
Maedar
Otyugh, Neo-
Rilmani (Abiorach)

what we normally do around here, is i will post the stats as we currently have them on the CC site, as well as some suggestions for changes, and then we spend a few days (or however short or long it takes) discussing what needs to be done for it to be fully 3.5 and for everything to make sense. then, we move on to the next monster. :)
in the case of the kenku, since this is just 4 varieties of the same creature, we can do them simultaneously. i haven't decided which creature to start with, but i will do that before the end of the day. probably neo-otyugh since that will be the easiest by far. ;)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it's ok, there's always next time and i have a feeling this round will go a lot quicker than the first two. :)

ok, batter up!

FUNGUS HULK

Medium-Size Plant
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 19 (+9 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +8 melee
Damage: Claw 1d4+4 and violet death
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Violet death
Special Qualities: Plant, fire resistance 20, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +0*, Listen +4, Move Silently +4

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm forest, marsh, and underground
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium-size); 10-18 HD (Large)

Centuries ago, energies left over from Keraptis’ bid for immortality combined with the volcanic gases and unusual fungi found in White Plume Mountain. The results were sentient fungoids known as fungus hulks.

At a distance, a fungus hulk resembles a bulky, hunchbacked humanoid wearing a concealing cloak. Closer inspection (20 feet or less) reveals its true form; a spore-bearing mass, surmounted by a head-shaped puffball. Sticky filaments protrude from the puffball.

The fungus hulk’s body is a thick carapace of limestone (the hulk absorbs it into its body from the surrounding area). Its “hands” end in sharp, dagger-like claws made of obsidian (again, absorbed into its body from its environment). The claws are covered in a violet-colored liquid that oozes from the fungus hulk’s body.

COMBAT

Violet Death (Ex): A creature hit by a fungus hulk contracts a quickly debilitating condition known as the “violet death” unless it succeeds at a Fortitude save (DC 14). On a failed save, the victim loses one-half of its remaining hit points per round until death occurs at the end of the sixth round.

A remove disease cast on a victim before death will end the violet death process, though a creature must immediately succeed at another Fortitude save (DC 14) or suffer 1d6 permanent Constitution drain.

Plant: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.

Skills: Fungus hulks receive a +4 racial bonus to Listen, and Move Silently checks. *They receive a +12 bonus to Hide checks when in swampy or forested areas.

The Fungus Hulk first appeared in the Return to White Plume Mountain (Bruce Cordell, 1999).

Initial changes, let’s see… remove plant traits from description, probably lower the fire resistance… probably not too much other work here.

Should the violet death be listed like a disease instead of like it is here? Or is that just fine as-is?

Krishnath

First Post
Fire resistance should be reduced to 5 or 10, I recommend 10.

Also, it is my humble opinion that the Violet Death should be written as a disease.

Remove ads