• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature creation

bestone

First Post
Hello all!

I have a party of all mages (yes, an all mage party, can you believe that?) anyways, they've reached mid-high level and were inquiring about creature creation.

Now, i recall there being a book with optional golem rules that worked off some sort of points system (think it was a mongoose book) but i dont remember what the book was.....

Does anyone know of anything they can reference me for this? tell me what books i should look in, show me any house rules? or let me know if you'd even allow it......

Thanks in adavance!

edit- oh let me clerfiy, the mages want to make creatures, like test tube projects, mixing this and that, etc etc

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well, most constructs in MM and other supplements have entries for their construction.

Regarding "test tube" types, maybe your players are interested in various homunculus in Eberron books.

And of course, wizards can create undead monsters and Liblis Mortis has various feats which enable to create stronger undead. Complete Arcane has spell-stitched template and rules and costs for stitching spells are written there.

Also, your players may be interested in various grafts rules shown in WotC books. By using them, they can modify creatures and commit experiments.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mongoose did have a book like that in their Encyclopedia Arcane line, yeah - Crossbreeding, I think. . .? Also, there was one for Constructs, subtitled 'It Is Alive'. Could be appropriate.

Voadam

Legend
Mongoose's Encyclopedia Arcane Crossbreeding

Encyclopedia Arcane Constructs

I seem to remember the Quintessential Wizard having a prestige class with quick rules for monster creation. Mongoose is coming out with a 4e version in November I believe so this pdf (or any others in the same "product line") will no longer be available for sale after that is released. Mongoose also said they would retire their d20 logo pdfs after December so as not to have to expend the effort to change the pdfs to comply with the ending of the d20 logo license.

Here is Pelgrane's Primer of Practical Magic that includes vat creature creation rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads