• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Stat Blocks, simplified? 3E

Lilaxe

Explorer
Are there any stat blocks which show only the basic information that might be needed for creatures in 3E? If there isnt, what are peoples ideas on the most pertinent (or basic) information needed to run a basic orc/goblin/roper in 3E?

Nellisir

Hero
I like WotC's DMG2 format, but it could be simplified. A lot depends on how much you want to leave up to the DM, and how much you want to tweak the rules. The example below takes out stuff that's already accounted for (Attack Focus & Alertness feats; moved Run feat to Speed line; a symbol denoting a feat would be helpful).

ADVANCED DIRE WOLF CR 4
N Large Animal
Init +2; Senses Low-light vision, scent, Listen +7, Spot +7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 12
Hit Dice 9 (67 hp)
Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares); Run
Melee Bite +14 melee (2d6+11); Base Atk +6/+1; Grp +18
Space 10 ft./5 ft.
Str+9, Dex +2, Con +3, Int -5, Wis +1
Skills Hide +1, Move Silently +5, Survival +3 (track +7)

Trip (Ex): A dire wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent (+13 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dire wolf.

kensanata

Explorer
Well, assuming I'd jot down notes for an upcoming session and I was planning to use my minotaur whipmaster, I'd probably jot down the following:

Large; hp 79; Initiative: +1; Speed: 30 ft.; Armor Class: 15, touch 10, never flat-footed; Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19; Attack: Greataxe +15/+10 melee (3d6+7/×3) or whip +15 ranged touch (15 ft. reach) and gore +10 melee (1d8+2; 10ft. reach); Powerful charge: +15 (4d6+7); Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +6; Str 20; Skills +13; Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Quickdraw; Common, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Terran.

If you compare it to the original, you'll see that I saved over 50% by leaving non-essential stuff away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads