• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creatures not in the SRD?

Rkhet

First Post
Just out of curiosity: which creatures did Wizard take out of the MM when they ported it over to the SRD? I know that Beholders and Mind Flayers are gone, what else?

Jhulae

First Post
It'd be anything else that has 'product identity'. I honestly can't remember offhand, but the two you mentioned are probably the 'biggies' that people would miss, because they're so identifiable.

pbd

First Post
So, I always find it strange that WoTC are worried that someone might copy their monsters.

I mean yes intellectual property is important and the open gaming concept is great, but why not post Beholder stats with the SRD? Is it really going to ruin the company if I can look up on the web and find stats for Gith?

Len

Prodigal Member
Yes, it most definitely would hurt the company if almost everyone downloaded the PHB, DMG and MM for free instead of buying them! WotC's strategy is to leave out just enough so that almost everyone will still feel the need to buy the books in order to play D&D.

pbd

First Post
Actually, almost the entire content is posted; pretty much the only thing I have noticed being excluded is a few monsters.

I own the books and most seem to still buy them regardless of the SRD; it wouldn't be the same withougt a ratty, overused sourcebook to flip through...

the Jester

Legend
There's some debate as to whether WotC can legitimately call displacer beasts their IP. They originally appeared in an old sci-fi short story, iirc- can't recall the name or author, but it's been mentioned here in the past.

I wish they'd left all the other goodies in there, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads