• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crisis in Freeport vs Vengence in Freeport

JoeGKushner

First Post
Both of these adventures look like they take place after the initial trilogy of adventurers. What's the difference between them? Can they be combined?

Morrow

First Post
Spoilers Ahoy!

Vengeance takes place shortly after the end of Madness. One of Drac's agents carries out a contingency plan to take revenge on the Sea Lord's enemies.

Crisis takes place sometime after Madness and resolves the question of who will be be the next Sea Lord. The action kicks off when the Captains Council decide to repeal the law requiring that the Sea Lord be a member of the Drac line. This decision leads to rioting and chaos, and opens the door for one member of the Captains Council to kidnap his main rival in an attempt to become Sea Lord. The adventure ends with the selection of a new Sea Lord.

Vengeance and Crisis are very different adventures, but are designed to follow the death of Milton Drac. Both adventures are for levels 7 - 9. I'd play Vengeance directly after Madness, but in terms of the timeline Crisis could be played any amount of time after Madness.

roguerouge said:
The scenario outside freeport needs to be edited or used with players who have strong stomaches. Just FYI.
Huh? Which scenario? Which adventure?

Honestly, that picques my interest more than turning me away. :D

Since "Vengeance in Freeport" runs exclusively in the city, it should be Crisis, that he meant.

If you want to DM in Freeport (Players: keep out!):
With a little bit of work and planning you can string a whole chain of adventures for Freeport together:

- Dead Man's Chest (Dungeon #107) (introducing Harriman, pirate god)
- Death in Freeport
- Interlude One from Trilogy Edition
- Terror in Freeport
- Side Quest: Trip to Cauldron (making connections to Shackled City, Age of Worms and Savage Tide AP's as a character quest, freeing enslaved parents)
- Madness In Freeport
- Interlude Two (directly afterwards leading to the downfall of Dutch Tillinghast)
(small adjustments... Xander Williams is then invited to the city..his first action: outlawing Finn)
- small timejump (4-6 weeks) (Here: Final Resting Place from Dungeon #122 as a character side quest, discovering the remains of the previous bearer of his magical sword)
- Vengeance in Freeport
- small timejump (1-6 weeks)
- Shadows in Freeport (is not necessary, but gives the possibility to make a better intro for Hell later, if Cresh has summoned the devil responsible for the trouble later...)
- small timejump (6-8 weeks) here as: Cut-throat Gold from Tales of Freeport (side quest for introducing the map selling gnome later)
- Gangs in Freeport (running at the moment, great adventure for setting up Crisis, as it shows the need for a firm leadership in the city)

future adventures:
- Crisis in Freeport
- Soul of the Serpent (Tales of Freeport)
- Hell in Freeport
- Black Sails over Freeport

One thing: the agent in Crisis in Freeport is also responsible for many of the dangers befalling Freeport. He bribed the guards on the prison hulk to release Tillinghast, he gave him the money to hire the mercenaries, and so on...
Another thing: Captain Lydon is a very important recurring character/ally

- possible continuation: Maure Castle

More info: http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6976
(no linky, as this is still in spoiler mode...)

Yes, I realize, that those adventures give way too much XP for the group:
I have abondoned doling out XP completely for the campaign and give the grooup the thumbs up, when it is time to level up again.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads