• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crit and Mighty Composite Longbows (Yes! It involves a Ranger!)

kreynolds

First Post
Karthyse said:
Perhaps i have missed an errata somewhere but doesnt "x3" mean "multiply by 3"?

Critical threat multipliers are commonly expressed in that form, so no, at least, not universally anyways.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Karthyse said:
Perhaps i have missed an errata somewhere but doesnt "x3" mean "multiply by 3"? Maybe im just crazy but i prefer literal translations of rules, it seems to make the game a lot easier to play than everyone reading too much into the rules and trying to change them to meet their own personal needs. like i said, "x3" means "multiply by 3".

Yes, it does literally mean that, but it's merely a notation on the weapons' chart. It's a lot better to write "x3" instead of "triple normal damage each rolled separately." That'd take too much space.

Greg

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
From the SRD:
A critical hit means that the attacker rolls
for damage more than once, as indicated by the weapon description
for the weapon that scored the threat, with all the attacker's
usual bonuses, and add the rolls together to get total damage.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Karthyse said:
Perhaps i have missed an errata somewhere but doesnt "x3" mean "multiply by 3"? Maybe im just crazy but i prefer literal translations of rules, it seems to make the game a lot easier to play than everyone reading too much into the rules and trying to change them to meet their own personal needs. like i said, "x3" means "multiply by 3".
No one is reading anything into the rules, except perhaps yourself. :)

Check the "Critical Hits" section in the PH on page 123 and the "Multiplying" section in the PH on page 275 to see how this works. In D&D 3e, by the core rules, "x3" means you roll the dice three times.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads