• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crit Hit/Fumble Cards

Lordgrae

First Post
Previously our campaign has used various rules regarding critical failures and successes. Ranging from simply provoking an AoO from the person your attacking, to having a "Crit miss" die with a different penalty penned in on each side (Dazed, Prone, Dropped Weapon, Fatigued, Effects self, and Provokes).

After seeing the Meta-mechanics thread, and looking at the Swashbuckler cards, I want to try and expand this concept to two decks of cards. Fumble and Success cards. My current mental concept is that upon rolling a nat 1, you draw a Crit Fumble card, and the effect is immediate.

Fumbles could be simple, such as "Fall prone". Or complex as "Make a new attack against the nearest person, if the attack hits, deal damage as normal and the target must also draw a fumble card."

Crit Successes are a little more complicated. I conceptualize the rewards being similar to that of the Swashbuckler deck. Also similar to a lot of Action or Fate point mechanics. Players would draw and retain the card until he wishes to use it.

Card concepts could be simple like "Reroll any single d20 roll", "Deal max damage for one attack", and "Avoid a fatal blow once, stabilize at -9 instead of dying" to complex/metagame "Gain 5% bonus exp for a single encounter", "Some of the gold coins just found are rare and valuable, worth +15% more" and "You and any allies within 15ft automatically pass a saving throw"

What I'm looking for, is more card concept ideas. Anything from strange to mechanically entertaining for either deck.

Also, suggestions regarding implementing the mechanics are appreciated as well. I'm not entirely sure how often I want people to be gaining the success cards. And what rolls would net one. (Nat 20s would be the most obvious. But that might occur too often for the abilities I want on the card)

Grae

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads