• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Fumble?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Jhulae said:
That makes absolutely no sense, as the people who are going to be coming into this situation are the most experienced fighters. You'd think a level 20 fighter would know much better how to not get hurt by his own weapon than a level 1. Yet, the 20th level is going to come into the situation where he *can* be hurt by his own weapon (even if he 'confirms' all the time) much more often than the 'newbie' fighter.

This alone shows that "Critical Fumbles are balanced by Critical Hits" is sophistic. The better and more practiced someone gets with a weapon, the less chance she has of doing something like hurting herself or dropping it or whatever. That's not the case with critical fumbles, as the situation comes up more often with the more attacks you have.

We usually just describe it as your character making a bad swing and getting hit by the enemy instead.

Dryfus

First Post
In response. I use, IMC, a roll of a 1 and make a DC15 reflex save if you fail either dropped weapon or AoO from all who threaten(players choice:] ), although a higher level fighters tend to roll more ones, they save more often than lower level fighters. I believe it is a fair system, but thats just my oppinion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads