• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Critical Hit Question

MrBookWyrm

First Post
I am hoping to spice up my 5th edition crits (and fumbles). "Roll twice" is fine, but it gets boring quickly, imo. Years ago, I used to have a few things I used, but I can't find them now. So I'm starting from scratch, which might be a good thing.

What do you suggest? What do you use? What should I avoid?

Thanks, as always.

Cernor

Explorer
It may not be exciting in and of itself, but if a critical hit maximizes all of the first dice and then roll the extra dice as normal (e.g. a critical with a greatsword becomes 2d6 + 12 + modifiers instead of 4d6 + modifiers) would make your players more excited when they get one...

aramis erak

Legend
My preference would be a descriptive damage, rather than double damage.

Another good way to deal with crits vs PC's would be reduction of max HP (recovering at 1/2 level per day with a long rest in it), and or movement losses, attribute temp damage (healing at some slow rate), and/or disadvantage with some limb or sense. I'm fond of the WFRP crits, myself. Good and descriptive.

Bupp

Adventurer
See if you can find the old Rolemaster tables. That will certainly add some tension and excitement.

"Back in the day" I used the charts from MERP. I believe that game was built on top of Rolemaster, wasn't it? Those charts can definitely cause some tension.

MrBookWyrm

First Post
I don't know. I guess I'm looking for something a little more complex than Cernor's idea; but not as complex as Psikerlord's; and less electronic than Bupp's.

I love using computers and such to plan my games, but I've found that allowing them at the table encourages players to have their phones at hand, and it's very easy for us in this day and age to become focused on our electronics instead of the people around us. So no apps for generating crits, at least not for me.

I have a vague memory of a chart from an old Dungeon Magazine I saw, might have been from like the 80's or something. Anyone have this? Is it any good?

Tormyr

Hero
It may not be exciting in and of itself, but if a critical hit maximizes all of the first dice and then roll the extra dice as normal (e.g. a critical with a greatsword becomes 2d6 + 12 + modifiers instead of 4d6 + modifiers) would make your players more excited when they get one...
And more dead when they receive one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads