• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Hit Tables

Darkness8Me

First Post
I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon, and the DM informed us that he plans on using a critical hit table for the game. I'm REALLY opposed to most house rules in the first place, but this particular one is a sore spot for me.

What I'm trying to figure out is how such a change affects gameplay. Below is a list of what I've noticed, and anything you could add would be appreciated.

1) High threat range weapons become decidedly better then their high damage modifier counterparts (i.e. greatsword vs. greataxe). The "benefits" of the critical hit table are activated by scoring a critical hit and the critical damage modifier of the weapon isn't taken into account in most cases.

2) Hit points are partially negated and classes with larger hit dice are penalized. An arm severing critical hit that inflicts 16 points of damage would affect a 120 hit point barbarian the same as a 40 hit point wizard in regards to the added effect (the severing of the limb).

3) When a monster loses a limb it isn't a earth shattering event. As pointed out in the DMG, an individual creature usually makes one appearance before it is slain (or runs away). However, the same event happening to a player character is extremely debilitating until healed.

Furthermore, if anyone knows of a critical hit table that doesn't destroy the D&D combat system as mentioned above I would be happy to hear it (as an alternative suggestion to the DM).

Nik_the_Pig

First Post
I am a fan of critical hit charts and the like mainly due to the fact it makes combat more interesting and dangerous but even if you don't have a look (as I'm sure you have already) at DnDchick's crit effects rules here. http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1320

I believe it deals with your first gripe about crit effects well through the use of the modified Fort save and the option to on have effects on a natural 20.

As with point two, far less likely to happen as the fighter has better fort saves but then again more likely as his in the combat and the wizard shouldn't be.

Point three? and the problem here is??? Yeah,you're right but style of gameplay is something for you to work out with your DM.

Hope you find something acceptable to you and the rest of your group.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads