• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical hits and strikers class features

Wotansman

First Post
Ok, so my group ran into this one today, and I need some help with this one.

On a crit from a striker, with their extra weapon dice (Ranger & Hunters Quarry, Rouge & Sneak Attack, and Warlock & Curse) are those class features part of the maximized dice?

Initially we said yes, it's a part of the attack. But upon closer inspection you role for most (not the Rangers) after you roll damage dice (the ranger you roll after all attacks are rolled). This would indicate that it's really an addition to the damage rolled.

When looking at the rules they say that anything from feats, magic items, etc. but they do not specify anywhere if this includes class features.

So what's the thought?

I'm gonna cross post on WoTC's boards.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, and Warlock's Curse are maximized on criticals.

Rolling damage doesn't imply you don't maximise damage on criticals with the Striker's adders. It's additional damage that is added to the main damage. All that is maximised.

Wotansman

First Post
Rolling damage doesn't imply you don't maximise damage on criticals with the Striker's adders. It's additional damage that is added to the main damage. All that is maximised.

but on a crit you only maximize the main damage, so it sounds like you think you don't do that to the strikers added damage.

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
but on a crit you only maximize the main damage, so it sounds like you think you don't do that to the strikers added damage.
Actually, you maximize all the damage except for the extra damage specifically from the critical hit, (e.g. from a magic weapon or a High Crit weapon) so the Hunter's Quarry / Sneak Attack / Warlock's Curse damage is maximized. This has been confirmed by Customer Service somewhere on these boards, but I'm not sure exactly where.

spinmd

Fishy DM
From the 4e Player's Handbook FAQ found here

http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396&p_created=1212604387&p_sid=B6CyRibj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzIsMzImcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWZhcQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

11. Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized. If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal

Remove ads