• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical hits on undead?

Spyritwind

First Post
A critical strike may be seen as hitting in a critical location only therefore discounting certain creatures, or a critical hit could mean your best swing of the day generating more force. I think the former is considered more than the later.

Another option is to go ahead and roll the multiple damage dice and keep the highest roll. Example: Gonad the Librarian hit a skeleton with a long sword and scores a critticle hit. Gonad rolls 1d8 twice and keeps the highest roll. It's far from double damage in some cases, but it still reflects the ability to get in a better strike.

Sneak attack is a different ability IMO. I really interpret this as the ability to hit your opponent in a critical location and has nothing to do with getting in a particularly powerful strike. Even so even a +1 per 1d6 would still be more damage while greatly reducing the ability.

Maester Luwin

First Post
I like your ideas Spyritwind! I actually made the undead alittle more deadly in my game & made them only hit with crit's (& your roll both damage dice & take the highest will be useful) as they are assumed to shrug off normal damage/ wounds that wear the average PC down. Thanks Maester Luwin

Remove ads