Critical Role Critical Role and Material Components

Yardiff

Adventurer
I know I'm way behind on the episodes. I'm currently watching ep 5 and I think its cool that, from the beginning of the campaign, the spell casters in the group (Travis, Liam, Sam) have been roleplaying using the spells material components when they cast. I don't remember if they did this in the campaign 1.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I know I'm way behind on the episodes. I'm currently watching ep 5 and I think its cool that, from the beginning of the campaign, the spell casters in the group (Travis, Liam, Sam) have been roleplaying using the spells material components when they cast. I don't remember if they did this in the campaign 1.

If you have a focus, you don't need material components.

Clerics and paladins just have to wear a focus in a way that it is visible, and therefore it doesn't require a hand, and is mechanically superior to using material components.
Druids just use something that's naturey, which is like using material components, only much more simple.
Bards cast with an instrument.

That basically means that campaign 1 didn't have any casters that used material components once the dragonborn mage left. And IIRC, he used a staff as a focus.

Matt specifically asked the new casters to carry some of the flavor-text load by describing their spellcasting when possible. I think it works quite nicely.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
If you have a focus, you don't need material components.

A focus can only replace material components that don't have a cost (BR, p.79), so some spells cannot be cast with a focus. Examples include Augury, Divination, Find the Path, Identify, Restoration/Greater Restoration, Revivify/Raise Dead/Resurrection/True Resurrection, True Seeing, and Stoneskin.

At some point, you will need material components.

--
Pauper

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
A focus can only replace material components that don't have a cost (BR, p.79), so some spells cannot be cast with a focus. Examples include Augury, Divination, Find the Path, Identify, Restoration/Greater Restoration, Revivify/Raise Dead/Resurrection/True Resurrection, True Seeing, and Stoneskin.

At some point, you will need material components.

--
Pauper

Sure, but if your typical play is to simply announce that you're casting a spell and ignore the material component, the only difference when you cast one of those is that you quietly cross off the component (or potentially even just enough money for the component).

Waving a stick around (or showing a holy symbol, or whatever) for every spell is boring to describe, so you stop doing it... and then "not describing the casting" becomes part of your routine.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Waving a stick around (or showing a holy symbol, or whatever) for every spell is boring to describe

Except the entire point of the original post in this thread is that the DM has asked his players to describe their material components, and it's not boring (for them).

Your game is your game, but your game isn't necessarily the best way for everyone to play.

--
Pauper

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

I’ve enjoyed that too and also the foreshadowing of future abilities that they’re working on (i.e. when they level up)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Except the entire point of the original post in this thread is that the DM has asked his players to describe their material components, and it's not boring (for them).

Your game is your game, but your game isn't necessarily the best way for everyone to play.
I think you missed my point. I was arguing that foci cause a form of fatigue that isn't shared by more specific material components.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I love that they do that. It's good for the people watching the show. I just don't think I would like to do it myself all the time (aside for the aforementioned payment/diamonds etc.). I feel Wizards can have a lot going on anyway.

I would also say that I have never seen a player around my tables use components like that. I think convenience is key, although there may be something lost there.

By the way. I am jealous of how many episodes you have still to catch up on.

Remove ads