• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Whom do they have an ethical obligation to?
All people.

This reads very much like you trying to come up with another way of saying "Critical Role shouldn't be inconveniencing FrogReaver, the true injured party" without having to say exactly that.
I don’t even watch CR. Probly never will. So no inconvenience to me. I’m here solely about the ethical considerations.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
As I mentioned above, we have no idea what the financial arrangement is for content he's in. Aside from that, it allows him to continue to associate himself with an incredibly valuable media property which certainly allows him a path to make money somehow.
I’m with you in assuming the financial agreement would have critical role, not Johnson pay him something for revenue brought in via those videos. Even if not specifically true in this case it makes for a better ethical question.

I think he can continue to associate himself with the CR regardless? Former CR, his name.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Not to me specifically no. Ethically they do need justification though.
The ethics of deciding not to continue too host content that could retraumatize their friend or support their abuser literally for the internet's amusement?

The ethics of creators who have miraculously for this day and age still have control of their own work to exercise control of their work?

Or the ethics of fandoms feeling that the people and media they are fans of are things they own and should be of control of into perpetuity against the wills of the actual creators.

This discussion would have a leg to stand on if it were some corp that only owns CR via contract removing stuff because they think it would cost them money, but this is people protecting their friend from a piece of their communal creation that has grown toxic and hurtful.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As I mentioned above, we have no idea what the financial arrangement is for content he's in. Aside from that, it allows him to continue to associate himself with an incredibly valuable media property which certainly allows him a path to make money somehow.
In general I have never been a fan of "Remove the content so we can punish 1 person while also punishing several innocent people who also need money from that content." If it were only that one person, then fine. But if you're depriving people who didn't do anything wrong of income(and who might depend on it to stay in their homes or eat) so that you can get at one wrongdoer, that seems morally and ethically wrong. Punish him another way.

I have no idea if this is the case here, but it seems likely that in group content if he is getting money, so are innocent others.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In general I have never been a fan of "Remove the content so we can punish 1 person while also punishing several innocent people who also need money from that content." If it were only that one person, then fine. But if you're depriving people who didn't do anything wrong of income(and who might depend on it to stay in their homes or eat) so that you can get at one wrongdoer, that seems morally and ethically wrong. Punish him another way.

I have no idea if this is the case here, but it seems likely that in group content if he is getting money, so are innocent others.
Those are the people who made this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads