Criticism of the ENnies at RPG.net

Eosin the Red

First Post
Eric & Rus probably can provide some clarification on this, and it touches on what the Col. was saying -

Some of the catagories had some stinkers - but the 1st ENNie submissions had what, 6 months from 3E debut? Some publishers also either weren't aware or did not want to participate so they weren't included.

The last ENNies - only contained the sprinting publishers, this year we have a DELUGE of product. I for one am very interested in this years ENNies - I almost tried to be a judge, but have a baby due in June.

Coik

First Post
EricNoah said:
Just as I didn't want to run a basically non-moderated forum neither do I really want to participate in one.

I'm confused, Eric...don't you still hang out on Nutkinland from time to time?

Oh, and I'd like to point out, just as a general statement, that this time, I had absolutely nothing to do with what's going on. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

MonkeyBoy

First Post
followed wolspider's link and...

Well, I didn't see much noise in the 5 or so posts I read...

I did see these quotes:

"
Me neither. I mean, The Witchfire Trilogy I: The Longest Night is still listed as the top adventure, I believe -- and that is a module with problems, if your review of The Pit of Loch-Durnan is any comparison.

Moreover, Privateer Press won for "best publisher" last year having only TLN out in print. Go figure ....
"

Which, owning TLN, and having rolled my eyes at the rules FUBARS in it, I think could do with rebuttal...

I mean how DID Privateer press win best publisher for one rule-errored module? Or did they?

Got me thinking that did...

Pyske

Explorer
Part of original post by reapersaurus
The visible hierarchy of a thread does NOT balance the insanity of having to click to follow each post you want to read, and it doesn't give you an overall picture of what's been said in the thread thus far.

I won't weigh in on main debate, but thought I'd point this out: click on the "Flat View" if you want to swap from threading to all posts at a glance.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

Henry

Autoexreginated
Opinions are like -- well, you know. Almost everyone has one.

If someone doesn't like the Vote, then I recommend that their site form their own Awards. It's not like it involves money, or power, or Gigantic Prestige.

We here at this community are a primarily d20 community. We vote for who we feel would do the best job (which is no secret Eric won a position by a landslide - we have all seen and appreciate his quality of work for 3 years now). We also vote for the products that stand out as the best to us.

As always, opinions vary, especially if someone's favorite game system is something other than d20. That alone could skew a vote one way or another, because they would find more useful things to them in a product than, say, I would.

I say, an intraboard flame war is about as silly as a actual one. There are some good folks over there (including our own Ashtal) who DON'T rip something a new one at every chance. Remember the Gentleman who originally brought our "Gamer Pix" thread to light over there, and then came over here to post a semi-retraction, and then his own photo?

Let's let it rest.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We have no reason to snipe at rpg.net; they're a phenomenal, useful site that covers a wider range of games than we do. If some of the posters on their message boards are acerbic, well, a lot of posters are extremely polite and thoughtful as well. Everyone is allowed to have opinions; please don't condemn the site because you disagree with a couple of arguing people.

Besides, I just joined over there. That makes *me* one of the message board people, too! :D

maddman75

First Post
I just want to comment on the scope issue - I don't read rpg.net - heck, I think I've only been there once or twice. Not because I think its inferior or anything, just that I don't have interest in a board about non d20 games.

I'm not a d20 snob, its just that 1) my players won't play anything else, because no one has the time to learn a new ruleset and 2) even if they did, we'd never have time to play. While a lot of games sound interesting (it pains me that Buffy won't be d20) I'll never play them. I only get to play D&D once a month - when would I play anything else.

So I come here - I know that the game I play will be the main topic of discussion. There might be comments from someone experineced in another system here and there, but for the large part d20 is the topic.

Psion

Adventurer
Henry said:
I say, an intraboard flame war is about as silly as a actual one.

What's all this tired prattle about an intraboard flame war? I see MANY people who post regularly over here post there too... Wolfspider, myself (though I use a different handle), Ashtal, qstor, etc. We are they.

I'll just flame it locally. :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Re: followed wolspider's link and...

MonkeyBoy said:
Well, I didn't see much noise in the 5 or so posts I read...

I did see these quotes:

"
Me neither. I mean, The Witchfire Trilogy I: The Longest Night is still listed as the top adventure, I believe -- and that is a module with problems, if your review of The Pit of Loch-Durnan is any comparison.

Moreover, Privateer Press won for "best publisher" last year having only TLN out in print. Go figure ....
"

Which, owning TLN, and having rolled my eyes at the rules FUBARS in it, I think could do with rebuttal...

I mean how DID Privateer press win best publisher for one rule-errored module? Or did they?

Got me thinking that did...

Last year's ENnies were notable for two things -- a pretty small field of choices for top-notch products, and a little less publisher participation than we would have liked. A few of the top companies didn't bother to submit products for nomination. I can pretty much guarantee that will change this year. :)

As to why certain things got picked to be in the "top 5" of a particular category, well, you shoulda seen what DIDN'T make it in. ;)

Remove ads