• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique my Cleric Revamp. Please!

StGabe

First Post
Hi.

Please (!!!) help critique this cleric (priests to me, I'll call them that from now on) revamp.

In my campaign (loosely inspired by Steven Ericson's Malazan books), priests aren't that different from sorcerors and there are no wizards. Spell memorization doesn't really make sense for what I want. I'd like to get rid of it.

However I want to keep balance. Basically I want priests in to be a different sort of sorceror and to have the healing the party will need, but without them being insanely powerful.

Here's what I've come up with (partially inspired by the Path of Faith sourcebook):

Hit dice: 1d6
Armor/Weapons: simple weapons, light armor, no shields, single martial proficiency (specific to deity)
BAB: as a sorceror.
Skills: 4+int bonus skill points. Same skill list as clerics except for bonus skills (deity specific)
Domains: The player gets 2 specific domains per house (actually it's not deities in my campaign, it's "houses") however there are also 2 domains they are completely restricted from.
Spell-casting: Can spontaneously cast a number of spells per level equal to a same-level sorceror (except they use wisdom as their bonus-determining attribute). They get a number of known spells equal to that of a same-level sorceror minus 1. However, they automatically know spells from their domain list.
Turning: they don't get any turning ability.
Domain Abilities: specific to the house and override standard domain abilities (some aren't that great, others are pretty darn good, depending on the powers of the domains that the house has).

Basically what we have is a sorceror with better defense, skills and slightly better spell knowledge. However, the spell list of a clerics, while very good, is presumably still not in the same ballpark as a sorceror's spell list (especially after lopping off two domains).

Yes? No? Changes I should make?

Thanks for any input. We're making characters for the campaign tomorrow night and I really need to get this finalized.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I've used this variant from the SRD (unearthed Arcana)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm
for a one-shot where it worked fine. They can cast less spells per day than either your variant or the regular cleric, but they get new spell levels at the normal progression.

I would let them keep the 3/4 bab unless you are reducing it for flavor reasons, there are a lot of cleric spells that assume they will be in the thick of melee combat.
Also keep in mind that the parties access to condition removal will be lowered dramatically
cure blindness, disease, poison, curse will be low on the priority list.

Remove ads