• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique my Pirate Assassin

BENINHB

First Post
My character is the ships first mate and he is the face for the eccentric captain. He is small in stature but the crew is terrified of him from the examples he's made of those who cross him... friend and foe

Rogue3/Swash2
Human

STR 14
DEX 18
CON 15
INT 16
WIS 11
CHA 16

Feats: TWF, Weapon Finesse (from swash), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot

Special Abilities: Sneak Attack 2d6, Evasion, Trap Finding, Trap Sense, Arcane Stunt - Blur (alternate class feature for Grace)

Skills: Max out UMD, Search, Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy, Craft Poison, Disable Device... then throw some points in Swim, Slight of Hand, Use Rope, Profession Salior, Decipher Script... what ever else looks good. I'm not really a sneak so Hide, move silently and stuff are not a high priority

When he hits level 6 i am going to grab another lvl of Swashbuckler and the Daring Outlaw feat to stack my Rogue and Swash lvls for my Dodge bonus and Sneak Attack Dice. Then i am going to grab Assassin at lvls 7 and 8 then go into Master Thrower at lvl 9.

DM says this Campaign will wrap up around lvl 12 so nothing higher than that is needed. One of the players in our group really wanted to play a pirate campaign so we a taking a couple month break from our main campaign to play this one.

paigeoliver

First Post
I find the Daring Outlaw character build to be a little more fun when you simply do Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler X, and focus on two weapon fighting rather than throwing.

The Master thrower/ assassin daring outlaw build is a bit too optimized for my taste.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
"Critique my Pirate Assassin"

Ninjas make much better assassins.

Your build seems fine. If you can't reach level 5 MT by the time the game is done, are you taking it to level 3, or just a 1 level dip for a trick and quick draw?

BENINHB

First Post
If i really like this character i may try to move him into our other game after this pirate campaign is done. In that case the full master thrower class would be available. But as it stands now I will finish at lvl 12 with only 3 lvls of master thower. I am taking at least 2 lvls, that will get me quick draw, a throw trick and Improved Evasion.

Dandu, you would stay assassin just out of a preference for more casting?? What else do you see??

Also, i"m starting at lvl 5 with 9000gp. i am starting to plan my items and could use some help. Since I cant buy wands with partial charges i am hoping if i give my DM a list of Spells and a chunk of my starting cash he will give me a variety of wands with varying charges. what would a good basic list look like??

I was thinking multiple daggers with wand chambers would cut down on the time and movements i waste drawing items. The only problem would be if i throw those daggers i have to retrieve them before i can use that wand.

Mithral Chain Shirt a good armor choice at this level?? enhancements and enchantments??

Other items of importance?? I've played a monk up until this point so armor and weapons are kind of new to me, i mostly focused on stat booster items.

Dandu

First Post
Dandu, you would stay assassin just out of a preference for more casting?? What else do you see??
Mainly the casting, but if you can get wands easily then feel free to leave after getting your spellcasting. I recommend you look at Eternal Wands and the bracer that holds many wands from Dungeonscape.

Anyways, you'll probably want to go Rogue2/Swash3 for optimal performance, if I recall correctly. And snag the feat Craven while you're at it for character level to sneak attack damage, which is multiplied on a crit. And the Rogue ACF from Dungeonscape that allows you to sneak attack anything normally immune for half damage if you flank it. (I think)

Last edited:

BENINHB

First Post
What are some good wands and scrolls to pack??

A lot of the spells that look good to me at first are one round or until next turn effects. That doesnt give me a chance to take advantage of them since it will take me a standard action to UMD it compared to the swift action to cast them normally. Example, Distract Assailant or Swift Invisibility

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What are some good wands and scrolls to pack??

A lot of the spells that look good to me at first are one round or until next turn effects. That doesnt give me a chance to take advantage of them since it will take me a standard action to UMD it compared to the swift action to cast them normally. Example, Distract Assailant or Swift Invisibility

Well, Rules Compendium changed how magic items work, stating that wands (and I think scrolls) use the casting time of the spell if it's less than a standard action. I hate that ruling, personally, along with most of the rule changes in that awful book. But for your sake, you could try and convince your DM to adopt it.

BENINHB

First Post
Well, Rules Compendium changed how magic items work, stating that wands (and I think scrolls) use the casting time of the spell if it's less than a standard action. I hate that ruling, personally, along with most of the rule changes in that awful book. But for your sake, you could try and convince your DM to adopt it.

Yeah, so far he has always made using a magic device a standard action. Several times I have been able to have him let me use a device one round and delay it going off until just before my next turn starts.

Is the is the rules compendium OGL?? Can you provide me a link to show him?? A ruling like that would reeeaaally buff the power of this character.

My character is kind of a blend of Durzo Blint and Jarlaxle Baenre. Calm and charming but when he acts is decisive and deadly. He is a Tinkerer and experiments with and utilizes magic items, poisons, traps and special tools.

Remove ads