• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique my reworked core races

Grayhawk

First Post
For my ongoing project of simplifying/reworking 3e, I've made some changes to the core races.

Some of these are necessitated by other changes, notably to the skill system. As such, you may see a bonus to Alertness (equal to Listen, Search & Spot) or to Sneak (equal to Hide & Move Silently).

Other changes are for the sake of simplification, like giving dwarves a +2 bonus to fort saves instead of a +2 vs poison and spells (since they can be arcane as well as divine casters now, I don't see how they should have an 'innate resistance to magic spells'). In the same vein, I've given elves a +2 on Will saves instead of their +2 vs enchantment spells.

Yet other changes are for balance reasons (in 3.5 dwarves vs halfelves could use some equalizing, IMO).

And lastly, some changes are for flavor reaons, being highly campaign specific. (For instance, I don't really think that the elves' racial weapons are unbalanced, but I've changed them to fit the elven weapons of choice in my campaign. They choose shortbows over longbows as the smaller weapon is better suited for moving around in dense foliage and their skirmish-like tactics. Also, in this particular campaign, rapiers are a weapon of urban humans, longswords are preferred by knightly types, and the scimitar is finessable and the 'standard' elven sword.)

A note on ability score adjustments: I've settled for +1/-1 over the 3e standard of +2/-2, as I don't want characters to start out with stats of 20.

Here goes:

Human
1 extra feat, 1 Prime Stat (gain +2 on skill checks with chosen attribute)
Medium, Move 30

Dwarf
+1 Con, -1 Dex
Medium, Move 20 (unhindered by armor or encumberance)
Lowlight Vision
+2 to Fort Saves
+4 to AC vs giants
+2 on checks related to stone or metals
Gets automatic alertness check to notice unusual stonework when passing within 10 feet of such
Racial Weapons: Battleaxe & Warhammer

Hafling
+1 Dex, -1 Str
Small, Move 20, +1 AC, +1 to attack
+1 to all saves
+1 to Alertness
+2 to Sneak
+1 with thrown weapons & slings

Elf
+1 Dex, -1 Con
Medium, Move 30
Lowlight Vision
+2 to Will saves
+2 to Alertness
Gets automatic alertness check to notice secret doors when passing within 10 feet of such
Immune to Sleep & Ghoul paralysis
Racial Weapons: Scimitar & Shortbow

Halfelf
1 Prime Stat (gain +2 on skill checks with chosen attribute)
Medium, Move 30
Lowlight Vision
+2 to Will saves

That's it. Please ask about any specific choices you find odd and comment on whether you find these balanced or not. I've tried to keep the flavor of earlier editions as well, so please let me know if you feel something is missing or if something could be handled better.

The_Universe

First Post
The +1/-1 to statistics for demi-humans is an awkward choice. Because bonuses for high stats (or penalties for low ones) are only felt at every other level, those should be a +2/-2, or you've severely weakened all of the demihuman races.

That's what jumped out at me right away.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Looks pretty good. Just change stats to +2/-2 as has been suggested. I don't see a problem with starting off with a stat of 20 if you can start out with a stat of 1.

Last edited:

Orichin

First Post
Agreeing with the popular consensus in regards to +/-2vs.1.
Human: I like it, seems like it'll give more of a custom feel to the race as opposed to the extra skill points humans normally get.
Dwarf: The unhindered movement rate is a nice touch. When you say "+2 on checks related to stone or metals" does that include something like a strength check to force open a stone door or a reflex save to avoid a cave-in? Or is your intent to apply the bonus to skill checks only?
Halfling: No big changes I see, except clearing out some of the chaff that halflings probably didn't need or had no reason to get in the first place (personally I don't think a race that needs a phone book to look over the countertop at the local bar has any business with a bonus on climb checks anyway, bonus ranks maybe due to having to use the skill 43 times a day, but being short-limbed does not help ;) )
Elves: I think I disagree with making the +2 vs enchantments into a +2 will save. I believe the origional intent of making elves resistant to enchantments in particular is to convey the talent elves have dealing with enchantments specifically (none of the races are more famous for mass-producing enchanted goods like elves, generally speaking; be they enchanted weapons, books, jewelry and garments, wands...cities)
Half-Elves: still the most underpowered race, unless as a human you'd blow your bonus feat on iron will (not often *caughneverseenitcaugh* the case in my experience)

Any changes to nomes? Or did you arbitrarily wipe the annoying runts out of existance?

I hate nomes.

Except with some montreal seasoning and some good steak fries.

Last edited:

Grayhawk

First Post
Thanks for your input so far!
The_Universe said:
The +1/-1 to statistics for demi-humans is an awkward choice. Because bonuses for high stats (or penalties for low ones) are only felt at every other level, those should be a +2/-2, or you've severely weakened all of the demihuman races.
I agree that +2/-2 may be better balanced in the way that it assures 1 less ability mod on your penalty stat and a plus 1 ability mod on your bonus stat.

I disagree that changing this to +1/-1 is 'weakening all of the demihuman races'. If it's possible to place odd scores in both the effected stats, you may actually end up with just a bonus, in effect 'hiding' your penalty.

Now, I'll propably have to mention that the '+1/-1' was meant for a stat genration system where you have no power over where your even/odd scores end up. As such, it won't be very open to any kind of abuse. Granted, somebody may have more luck than others with regards to how the bonus/penalty to their stats affect them, but luck has always been a factor in any kind of randomly determined stat generation. Going into any more detail would run the risk of sidetracking the thread, so for now I'll just agree that +2/-2 bonuses are better balanced for most stat generation methods. Anyway, whether it's '+1/-1' or '+2/-2' doesn't really matter when you're comparing the races against each other. Nor does it make the flavor of a race any different.
Aust Diamondew said:
I don't see a problem with starting off with a stat of 20 if you can start out with a stat of 1.
I'm not saying that starting out with a stat of 20 is a problem. It's just something that I don't like, so I'm taking steps to prevent it. On the other end of the scale, no one is going to start out with a stat of 1 either. And let that be the last on the stat-thingy, unless someone wants to tell me how appalled they are by my switching of the dwarves' penalty from cha to dex :)
Orichin said:
Dwarf: The unhindered movement rate is a nice touch. When you say "+2 on checks related to stone or metals" does that include something like a strength check to force open a stone door or a reflex save to avoid a cave-in? Or is your intent to apply the bonus to skill checks only?
Both of these are meant to work the same as in 3.5.
Orichin said:
Elves: I think I disagree with making the +2 vs enchantments into a +2 will save. I believe the origional intent of making elves resistant to enchantments in particular is to convey the talent elves have dealing with enchantments specifically
I'd very much like to hear about any examples where a bonus to will saves is in violation with the presumed intention behind giving elves a bonus vs enchantment effects. (Aren't all saves vs enchantment will saves? And aren't the majority of will saves saves against enchantment effects?)
Orichin said:
Half-Elves: still the most underpowered race, unless as a human you'd blow your bonus feat on iron will
Well, they do get lowlight vision to make up for how the can't freely choose a bonus feat like humans. Do the rest of you agree that they're still underpowered? If so, what's your favorite fix?
Orichin said:
Any changes to nomes? Or did you arbitrarily wipe the annoying runts out of existance?
Yup, no 'nomes in sight! (And no half-orcs either, at this time.)
Ferret said:
I definetly like the idea of a bonus to a stat based skill. Very nice.
You, Sir, have excellent taste!

I'm surprised no one has jumped on me yet for replacing the dwarves' dark vision with lowlight vision, but I'm guessing it'll happen any second now... *takes cover*

Remove ads