Crossed Paths - Part I

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Manzanita said:
(Feel free to start the horse conversation w/Agrinion, Octar).

*clears throat* :D

IC: Before they leave, Octar turns to Agrinion and says "Will there be any room for horses on this boat? I have a fine steed that I am loathe to leave behind."

Khenemetsobek

First Post
Khen doesnt flinch at the conversation and stays at the back of the group not saying a word. Burne and Rufas? Brioc's words will come back to haunt us. Plus they expect me to row?

The next morning before setting off while final preperations are underway Khen will approach the Captain when he appears to have a moment of relative calm. He is dressed in a long white Pharonic robe more suitable for the open ocean.

"Captain Tolstoy, Well met I am Khenemetsobek, from the land of Upper Egypt and companion of Brioc Ap Llwyd on the trip to Sevastopol," Khen says in a fluent but heavily accented Greek.

"As a holy man and an honest person I felt it was best to inform you of my... situation. My God, the great Sobek, the Crocodile King, has great influence in these waters as in all the waters of the world that are fed by the Nile. Upon waking this morning I sat in prayer to him for his blessing on our voyage.... However this ship is not among those dedicated to the Scaled Lord and it is custom, nay his divine law that any vessel that his priests sail must be soley dedicated to him. Thus in order to keep his blessing and prevent the ship from being endangered I may not help the ship or crew sail, row, or in any way help operate her. Doing so risks the wrath of my lord, and if there is one diety that a captain wants to have on his side it is he, the Scaled Sailor." He says quickly and in a single breath, attempting to finish before the captain speaks.

"It is a mighty blessing on the ship for a Priest of the Waters to travel upon her and I insure you that through me the Scaled Lord will ensure a successful voyage and that through me his power will be wielded violently against any pirate vessal that attempts to halt our voyage."

Khen smiles cocks his head and awaits the captains response. Mighty Sobek never have I so much enjoyed the customs of your priesthood as I do today. Several days spent behind an oar would not be plesant.

Manzanita

First Post
"Oh. " Agrinion nods & thinks a moment. "Yes, would be a shame to leave behind a fine steed, especially if you'll be traveling outside of town. I can fit it in near the bull, I would think. Just be sure to bring food for it. & you'll be needing to look after it during the trip."

Manzanita

First Post
Captain Tolstoy listens attentively to Khenemetsobek, though his face seems to flinch at times.

"I know not of your scaled Lord, Egyptian. This boat is wisely dedicated to Posiden, as any sensible Captain in these parts would attest. It is our way that all help in our mutual need. If you refuse, I will not force you, seeing as you're not regular crew. But I would advise you to cooperate if you wish to maintain the goodwill of the others aboard."

"All the same, I would welcome the blessings of your scaled sailor if you are able to get it."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar gives Agrinion a friendly smile. "That is well. Thank you." Before turning to leave, he adds "Where do you hail from? Your accent sounds familiar to me."

Manzanita

First Post
Angrinion

"Oh - have you travelled in the West? You do look as though Rome has put you under its yoke. I'm from Catalonia, in Eastern Spain. Have you been there? I hope so. We'll have plenty of time to catch up on that sort of thing aboard."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"I believe I have everything I need... But I imagine I should sell off my donkey." Nathaniel seems just a little sad about this.

He turns to Octar: "How burdened is this precious steed of yours? I may need to stow away a few things -- my tent, some travel food, some bedding... The rest," he pats each belt pouch on his sisde "I can manage on my own."

(Sold off donkey and saddlebags for 6gp...)

Manzanita

First Post
September 22 1011 - 7 am

Standard supplies can be bought & sold - no problem. Tell me how much you spend for the victuals, ErichDragon - probably prices as a gallon of ale & iron rations.

The morning dawns cool & clear. Those of you who aren't equiped with winter gear are starting to feel the chill. You trudge to the docks & board the ship. The crew is in good spirits; most think their Captain & will outsmart the pirates as he has so many times before. Contrary to Angrinion's left toe's instincts, there is an easterly wind today, and the ship makes good time.

Agrinion seems to have some command responsibility on the ship. He strides around casually, though, and the sailors seem to follow his directions cheerfully. Once things are up & running, he approaches the party, a pipe of strange-smelling tobacco in his mouth.

"Cap'n Vlad has chosen a different route for us today. Usually around here, the ships stick within sight of land. Many of the sailors don't like to be out of sight of it, & many of the captains can't navigate well enough to do without it. Of course the same holds for pirates. the Cap'n figures if we keep far from shore the pirates won't see us."

"So, Octar, have you been to Spain? It's beautiful country. I miss it everyday. I had to come out this way, due to a..um.. misunderstanding with the law. I say 'law,' though I really mean the local nobility. There's not much difference out there. What brings you folks out here. It looks like you lot have come from all over the known world. What's your story?"

DM Notes:
Please post a response with the following:
1. What you wear/carry while on board. I assume most of you won't be wearing your armor, but if you are, let me know.
2. Please tell Angrinion a little about yourself. Or post how you avoid the question. Several people, including other PCs would probably ask you this question in the course of the voyage, so why not just get it out there.

The first two days of the voyage are fairly uneventful, so I will be awarding experience points. You have time to reflect on your experiences & practice what you've learned. These are the times I will be assigning Experience. It's not much so far, but you all start with a different amount, and I'll be telling what that is too. This will be by email. Experience is based on combat, problem solving, roleplaying (quality of posting), and regularlity of posting.

Eldorian

First Post
OOC: If it's cold, I bought a blanket. I also bought a needle, a fishing hook, and made a fishing pole. I was busy and couldn't get a responce.

Glaucon doesn't wear his armor on the ship, so you get to see his tatoos in all their magnificience. Those who can judge tatoos think they're really good work. If anyone admires them, he mentions that he learned how to tatoo from the same woman that did his.

What Glaucon tells Angrinion about himself:

"Well, I was apprenticed to a half elf, half Greek named Cleitophon, to be a sailor. He trained me on his ship and on his island near the Greek isles. I learned much from this half elf, and much from his daughter as well. This is her, self portrait even" Glaucon gives a sly wink and grin and gestures to the tatoo on his left pectoral. "I then entered into the service of an African named Zimbu, and was a crewman aboard his ship for some years. He's a great man, and the reason I'm travelling with these barbarians." Glaucon tells stories of his childhood and his youth, battles he's seen and been in, monsters he's seen or heard of. He's generally comunicative. He spends his time on the boat doing whatever work looks intersting, fishing, and whatever else anyone asks, such as talking, or singing, juggling, or whatever. He knows alot of sea shantys, as well as other songs. He'll gladly give anyone a tatoo as well.

Remove ads