Crossed Paths, Part II

doghead

thotd
Marcus nods in the darkness as he finishes pulling on his armour, then belts on his sword.

"I think that that is wise. I'm dressed, so I'll take this watch with Brioc."

Turning to the Roman he says, "If you have no wish to sleep, why don't you tell us what you know about the orcs that you met and this region in general. It would be ... helpful. That is, of course, so long as you feel up to it."

Assuming that there are no objections or interuptions, Marcus also gathers up his crossbow and bolts.

Manzanita

First Post
doghead said:
The man acts as if he is taking a stroll in the park and discusses the death of his collegue as if he were talking about last night's dinner. I do not like it. All alone, no fear, no caution. Perhaps his brains are addled. But ... I will be watching you Mr Roman Archeologist.
I interpretted this as a sense motive check, though, I'll admit, I forgot to roll for it. Thanks for reminding me doghead. I'll roll now. Result: Although Marcus finds the man's circumstances suspicious, he finds nothing in the man's demeaner that suggests dishonesty. Nor does he see or hear anything suspicious, although his vision is limited to the light of the campfire. It is a dark night, with clouds obscuring most of the moon and stars.

"Oh I understand. Those merchants are always secretive. Not like we archeologists. Well, let me tell you some about what we've found. I hope some of you will stay up and listen."

"As you probably know, this area of the world seems to have been originally inhabited by a race of intelligent lizard men, called Saurons by the Melniboneans. I tend to think, as do many others, that the lizard folk of today are their descendents, though they've lost their arcane magical knowledge, and their rapport with dragons...."

He continues talking in this vein, I'll post more later. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else wants to post anything

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar shrugs, rolls over, and goes back to sleep. While being a former legionaire wasn't a garauntee of honesty, with two people keeping watch he wasn't worried.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Nathaniel stays up for a while to talk to the archaeologist -- writing down his story, primarily for his normal record-keeping but also to do a bit of fact-checking, just to make sure there aren't any holes in the story. Even this was normal behavior -- you can get away with a few inconsistencies as a public speaker, but he was beginning to think their story might someday be worthy of a scroll, and once put there you'd have damned scholars picking apart everything -- but the others were acting a little suspicious... At least with everything written down, they could take the time to analyze it, come to their own conclusions.

doghead

thotd
Once the roman is in Nathaniel's capable hands, Marcus finds a place a little away from the campsite and settles down in the shadows of a tree, his cloak drawn around him and his crossbow across his lap.

Manzanita

First Post
Evening

Sergius continues his narration, walking around a bit to make sure everyone can hear. This annoys Marcus somewhat, as the light from his spearpoint makes it difficult for him to hide. Sergius is an engaging speaker, and most of the party find themselves very interested in his story. Mendicus even seems to hang on his every word.

“The Melnibeans, of course, were the dominant race on this planet for thousands of years. They are elves, but taller, taller even than men, on average. And with a supernatural gift for magic and animals. Particularly dragons. Between the wizardry and their dragon-taming, none could stand in their way. They crushed these Saurons, like they crushed all others who stood in their way. The more interesting question is why did the Melniboneans finally fall? There was some sort of civil war, yes, and most historians believe they exausted themselves on each other. But Aluvial Paxus, in his groundbreaking CY 997 study on the Melniboneans, theorizes that their gods deserted them, replaced my new gods, who were not so warlike. But this is neither here nor there, for the Melniboneans did not stay here long. They took what they wanted from the Saurons and left his area in the peaceful and capable hands of their dwarven servants. Ah,” he pauses and looks at Dhurmium,” well, not servents, perhaps. Allies, shall we say.”

“The dwarves mostly stayed underground, though, leaving it to the Greeks to conquer the area approximately 1500 years ago, under Menaleus, one of Alexander the Great’s generals and successors. He found some primitive people here, and formed several powerful city states. The causes of their downfall are still unknown.”

As he speaks, Brioc remains vigilant. After a while, he finds himself suspicious of some noises coming from the woods to the Northwest. They seem a little too regular for the wind.

map attached. Hope you can all view it. Green spots are trees &/or bushes. Red spot is campfire. Visibility is descent within the open area to about 30 feet from the campsite.

doghead

thotd
The man is infuriating! A good blow to the back of the head would make him much better company. The thought makes him grin.

Marcus does his best to ignore the Roman, and concentrate on what lies in the forest.

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc holds a hand up, motioning for his companions to fall silent. He stares hard into the woods, then speaks in a quiet voice.

"I think there's something in the woods over there, lads. I can't be sure, but I could swear I heard something." He prods Wolf with his foot, trying to waken his animal companion and his keener senses.

doghead

thotd
Marcus has to stain a little to catch Briocs words. He misses one or two, but he hears enough.

A shiver runs down his spine before he can stop it. Then he returns his attention to the woods, and quietly shifts himself into a crouch. After a moment to look and listen again, he carefully cocks the crossbow and drops a bolt into place.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar, sleepingly lightly due to Sergius' chattering, perks up at Brioc's announcement. Quietly, he gets up into a crouch and makes sure that his shield, sword, and bow are near.

Remove ads