crouching tiger prestige class

target

First Post
Here's a prestige class I wrote up. It's based on movement -- being able
to move around in a variety of ways. The requirements mean that you're
either a 10th level monk or some sort of multiclass fighter/rogue/monk of
at least 9th level, so the special abilities should be powerful if you're
taking this instead of the next 10 levels of monk.

I actually suspect that it's less powerful than a straight monk, but tell
me what you think. Ideas in it came from CTHD, the Tattooed Monk, and me.
I used a fighter's BaB because it seems to me that in CTHD many of the
warriors really were warriors, used lots of weapons, and so on. I used
the medium progression for reflex and will saves, but it might be better
thematically to have a good reflex progression.

Feedback is good.

Disciple of the Wudan

Backstory: See Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Requirements:
Alignment: Any Lawful
Base Attack: +7
Skills: Tumble 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks, Balance 8 ranks
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Evasion

Hit die: d8

BaB: As fighter
Medium save progression: Ref and Will
Poor save progression: Fort

Level Special abilities
1 Vertical Running, Unarmored Speed +10 ft
2 Roots of the Mountain, Slow Fall +10 ft.
3 Abundant Step
4 Float like a Butterfly, Slow Fall +10 ft.
5 Broken Chains
6 Step Lightly, Unarmored Speed +10 ft.
7 Slow Fall (unlimited)
8 Walk with Others
9 Crescent Moon, Unarmored Speed +10 ft.
10 Uncertain Location

All of the abilities of the Disciple of the Wudan become inactive if she
is wearing armor heavier than light armor, or if she is medium encumbered
or greater.

Vertical Running: With a running start (at least 10 feet), a Disciple of
the Wudan can run on a surface as steep as vertical. For every 10 feet in
height, she needs 10 feet in a running start (ie., to run up a 30
ft. wall, she needs 30 ft. of running room). She can run any amount of
distance horizontally on the wall, but will fall off of it if she ends her
turn on a vertical (or near vertical) surface. This is an extraordinary
ability.

Unarmored Speed: This increases the Disciple of the Wudan's unarmored
speed.

Slow Fall: See monk's slow fall ability.

Roots of the Mountain: Once per day per every two class levels, the
Disciple of the Wudan may root herself into place. She gains +4 to her
constitution for as long as she stays rooted, for up to 1 round per class
level. When using this ability, she takes a -20 penalty on any
dexterity-based skill checks, but is immune to bull rush and trip
attacks. She may end her rooting as a free action, but cannot move as
long as she stays rooted. This is an extraordinary ability.

(Note that this is very similar to the Mountain tattoo, only not quite as
good.)

Abundant Step: As monk's ability, except that caster level is the Disciple
of the Wudan's class level plus half of her monk levels (rounded down).

Float like a Butterfly: The Disciple of the Wudan may use her slow fall
ability even if she is not near a wall.

Broken Chains: The Disciple of Wudan is affected as if by Freedom of
Movement. This is a spell-like ability.

Step Lightly: The Disciple of Wudan may walk on any surface, regardless of
how weak or uncertain. For instance, she can walk on water or a thin
branch. Her footsteps are so light that they do not leave footsteps or
trigger any weight-sensitive effects. However, she cannot walk on air,
clouds, or anything similarly amorphous.

Walk With Others: When using her Abundant Step or Step Lightly abilities,
a Disciple of Wudan may extend this effect to others once per day for a
number of rounds equal to her class level. She may affect a number of
other people equivalent to half her class level (rounded down).

Crescent Moon: Once per day, a Disciple of Wudan may use ethereal jaunt as
a spell-like ability.

Uncertain Location: The Disciple of Wudan has become centered in her
powers of movement. She may use any of her movement abilities twice as
often as she otherwise could, and moves so quickly and unpredictably that
she gains a +4 dodge bonus to her AC (except when flat-footed).

Storyteller01

First Post
Seems a lot like a PRC Dragon put out some time ago. Both are well done.

I forget the exact issue of Dragon, but you may want to check it out. The issue was made specifically for monks and 'Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" playing styles. It even provided feats allowing monks of a speific level to fly (per the movie).

target

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
I forget the exact issue of Dragon, but you may want to check it out. The issue was made specifically for monks and 'Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" playing styles. It even provided feats allowing monks of a speific level to fly (per the movie).

Huh. Any idea where to find such a thing? I don't have a subscription to Dragon... is it online some place?

- target

Storyteller01

First Post
Check the WotC website for a purchase. The cover is a bald monk shown from the shoulders up, turning to look at the reader over his left shoullder. He has his left fist held up, which is wrapped in a white cloth or gauze. He has papers with kanji revolving around his head (almost like Ioun stones).

Your best bet may be to buy a current Dragon Magazine, then oredr a back issue from the order for in it.

Chorn

First Post
Class skills? I'm assuming it'll probably be something like the monk's list, but a listing would be nice. What about weapon proficiencies? I'm assuming all simple and martial. If so, consider adding in the monk exotics because you can get in without taking a single monk level.

target

First Post
Chorn said:
Class skills? I'm assuming it'll probably be something like the monk's list, but a listing would be nice. What about weapon proficiencies? I'm assuming all simple and martial. If so, consider adding in the monk exotics because you can get in without taking a single monk level.

Hm. Class skills would probably be something like:

Balance, Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Ride, Craft, Profession, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion)

I took out a couple of the mainstream monk ones, but put in Ride which is at least movement related in some sense. Most of the people in CTHD were not very diplomatic, and they all had *huge* problems with sense motive. :)

Weapon proficiencies: simple and martial. If you get to this point without having proficiencies in monk weapons, I'm not sure why you'd get them now (or want them now, for that matter, since you won't have flurry). But it certainly wouldn't break the class to have them.

- target

Chorn

First Post
target said:
Most of the people in CTHD were not very diplomatic, and they all had *huge* problems with sense motive. :)
Li Mu Bai seemed to be the talk you out of it type, but I guess it could just be a lot of cross class ranks coupled with a decent Charisma. I'll grant the Sense Motive problem too, but you might consider the Bluff counter aspect of it.

Weapon proficiencies: simple and martial. If you get to this point without having proficiencies in monk weapons, I'm not sure why you'd get them now (or want them now, for that matter, since you won't have flurry).
Mostly just flavor reasons. Especially so if you use the expanded list from Oriental Adventures which includes things like the butterfly swords.

If you haven't done so already you might want to take a look at Hong Ooi's martial artist base class. It's fills the graceful fighter archetype which can include both duelists and wuxia heroes. The supernatural stuff like running across water is handled by exclusive feats. Some tweaking and perhaps an additional feat or two and you could get something like your prestige class here if you like.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
You think they had trouble with sense motive? I don't think so. Li Mu Bai tricked Jen Yu into using her exceptional skills to catch something he dropped before it shattered, right? I just think he chose to let her redeem herself. But that's completely off topic.

My problem with this is that it's a lot like several pre-existing abilities. for instance, the psionic up the walls seems to bear a large resemblance, and also the dwarven defender's skills are a lot like roots of the mountain

target

First Post
Ok, I want to make a couple of changes which increase the power level of this class. Anyone want to chime in on balance issues here?

The two changes I would like to make are to give the class monk saves, good in all areas. Actually, what I really want is to give it good save progressions in all saves but to start at +1/+1/+1 to somewhat discourage taking one level of this, but there isn't really a good way to do that without having custom save progressions. But it would look like: +1/+2/+3/+4/+4 and now is one the normal track. A minor point, to be sure.

The second change is to add the following ability to level 4, and move the Slow Fall +10 ft. to level 5.

Fast Movement: The Disciple of Wudan has learned to move quickly in armor. She can move up to 10 ft. less than her unarmored speed in light armor. (E.g., if she has unarmoured speed of 50 ft., she could move 40 ft. in light armor.)

Any thoughts on this? Should I repost the whole thing for ease of viewing?

Thanks,
target

Remove ads