Pathfinder 1E Crowns of Ice - A Tale of Blood and Betrayal - Chapter I - The Isle of Heildam

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Arvid in calm, his diplomacy training too strong to be ruffled by minor items of indiscretion such as young bride having a child. With some lawless man, no less. But his demeanor changes as he is called to talk without actually hearing everything. But still, this is his chance to get the help, either from Thorir or Alec.

He stands up, his fine clothes blowing with the wind.
"You might want to send others of your crew away, Thorir. This is your brother we're talking about. Maybe you would prefer to hear the story alone before including Jarl MacTier and his daughter?"
After waiting for a shake and motion to continue, he nods at the assembled nobles.
"Very well. For those of you who only saw me on the meetings, I am Arvid Gunnar Ingvarson and I serve Jarl Volundson. Real Jarl, father of Einar and Thorir. For the last several years, old Jarls health is failing and his son, Einar, is Jarl in all but the name. Ever was he interested in ruling and power. What he doesn't realize is that he only knows games of power, politics, intrigue. He was born into Jarl household and had the best education. He had combat training and he raided, he's an experienced warrior, of course. No one could lead who wasn't. But in all that, he is Jarls son. And here we come to an unpleasant truth. Einar thinks Jarl Volund should have accepted the crown when it was offered. And he yearns for more power than single Jarldom. But instead of advancing his interest through marriage or diplomacy or even strenght of arms, he chose indirect, insidious, nefarious way, the dark way of Gataberg."
Here he shakes his head slightly.

"I know you all heard about my country and its ways where The Game is more important than honor. But not all of us are like that. But the reality is, if you're not playing, you get ignored. Or destroyed. In an effort to garner ever more power the houses look in various places, some look to hard at the options offered by the hidden cults and dark allies. Which in turn bring them ever deeper into the darkness."
I will not bother you with more tales, this was important for just single detail.
"Einar had contacts in Gataberg. As Jarl Volund grew weaker, Einar looked at the ways to gather more power to himself. Thus, he is now target for the alluring powers of the hidden army. The problem is, the influence of the dark makes him wary of the light. He didn't leave Gandrael, indeed he rarely leaves his home anymore, convinced everyone is a threat and that he's too important to die just now. Which leaves him dependant on outside information. Which in turn provides a strange man from somewhere else. He no longer listens to his father, his warriors or even me."

He looks down and sips mead, thinking how to proceed.
"You, young Astrid, may think him good catch, son of the powerful Jarl is bound to bring good times to both clans. By your stay here, willingly, I'm assuming you know something is not quite right. But you don't really know bad it is. I urge you strongly, Jarl Alec, take your daughter home and cancel the wedding. Call out Einars inability to protect her or his sending of a humble teacher instead coming for her himself. Do what you must, but keep Astrid out of his hands.

I know this seems melodramatic - but I've seen this once before. It starts with advisors, pulling to ever more extreme measures. Where old ways of honor are abandoned for expeditiousness. I'm afraid Einar is at the brink of going fully into the darkness of some cult. If he's not already fallen. As you can see, I still have some sway. And he's not fallen yet, his first reaction was anger, orders to equip the ships and bring the gold. Much as, I suspect, Jarl Alec reacted. But the other adviser stopped him with rationalisations, with explanations. With the words of cowards. And the worst part is, he listened. Thus, I took the chance to come out here - rare chance to talk to Thorir, but here, bringing the news to you to save one young soul from dreary halls.

As gods are my witness, if I do nothing else good in my life, saving the lass would be worthy."

Thorir knows, Arvid is prone to speeches and occasionally had to be silenced by a toast when Jarls became impatient. But this time, he stops just before eye-rolling starts.
"Now, I'm wounded and the happenings of that hunt are story for itself, but right now, I'd ask help to save Volund and Einar. Or at least, leave the country in clean hands and cleanse it before the rot takes root. What say you, Thorir?"

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Astrid took a moment to take in all this emissary to Einar had said. She wondered briefly if this was a test sent from Einar to prove their devotion to him in some way, and decided to tread carefully.

"I very much appreciate your offer to save me, Arvid, is it? That is kind of you." (ooc: what would be his title here??)

"Before I would speak my mind, I have a question you should be able to answer for me."

She gave Thorir a look that bore into him as she spoke, "Does Einar bare any tattoos? I am specifically wondering if he has one on his forearm." She wanted to confirm what Thorir told her, she'd believed him yet recognized there still could be other forces at play. She also wanted her father to hear this from someone other than Thorir, before he said it.

OOC: OOC: For reference, Einar does bare this tattoo, [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] can help describe it if I don't get it correct, it's a crescent moon around the top, three stars underneath that. The full tattoo, there are demon horns that make up the bottom.

Neurotic

OOC:
I missed that part about the tattoo. And here I was, trying to shape the story so that it is unclear if he's already in the cult :) [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], I was waiting to see if you'll post something, I'm keeping this going, you can chime in later [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION], confirmation is here, lets hear it :)

"Yes, Lady, Einar has such tattoo. As for the saving part, that is what men do, isn't it? How many stories feature saving of monsters and how many saving a beautiful lass. Or woman in your case." he bows slightly

Astrid probably has some experience with such men even in her monoteistic Jarldom. Traditional values of some Jarldoms treat women as weaker; protected and cherished prizes at best, simple property at worst. Only rarely is there true equality. She may not know what is normal in Arvids land, but he is obviously in the camp where women aren't deciding about anything.

"I would like to hear your story, even hints about the backstory promise it to be epic. But I'd like to hear Jarl Alecs..." Arvid turns to the father "... thoughts on the matter. Stories can wait, there are decisions to be made."

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec has stayed quiet during the procession, not partaking in the food or drink, his look cold and stern. He visibly relaxes, however, as Thorir announces that he will not be asking for a ransom. As talk turns to Einar and his involvement with a cult, Alec's face grow darker. When Arvid turns the conversation to him, he does not answer at once. Instead, he takes a drink of mead, and gathers his thoughts.

"I came here to rescue my daughter from pirates, and have found she needs no rescuing. My daughter is engaged to be married, and the advisor to her betrothed asks me to call off the wedding. This has been a day for reversals.

"And now I hear insinuation that my future son in law may be in league with those who attacked my daughter those years ago. Tell me, are there any other surprises you have not revealed? I am not as young as I used to be."

Neurotic

"It is your turn to share, Jarl Alec. Astrid has a child. She was attacked by the cult. If I'm not here to inform you about Einar, I would have plenty to report. But I am and I won't. So. Can we hear the story? And agree that Einar needs to be pried out of his ancestral halls and the halls cleansed from the unclean. I know it seems like it is not your problem to solve. But once the cult is established in strong jarldom, they will quickly spread. And you probably don't want your granddaughter threatened by such."

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
"I have no story to tell," Alec replied, flustered as he is unsure of what Arvid wants from him. "My daughter was attacked years ago. I drove off the attackers. My granddaughter had disappeared. Now, my daughter gets taken by pirates, and then subsequently released. You apparently know more than I do, as you have unwittingly had dealings with the people who attacked my daughter. So what is it I am supposed to share?

"Thorir, let me ask you this. Why is it you have decided not to pursue the ransom? Was it really because your brother fathered a child with her, or is there some other reason? From what I understand of Sea Kings, it shouldn't matter to you who she is. The fact that she is my daughter should make you all the more eager to get the ransom, as I have resources many do not. While I accept and appreciate your apology, please tell me, what else is going on here?"

Fenris

Adventurer
Thorir nods, looks at Astrid for some sort of signal. Astrid stares back then nods at the SeaKing. Thorir sighs, picks up a large mug of mead, and downs it.

"You are quite correct Alec. Whether she was mother to my niece, daughter to a jarl, engaged to my brother or even my brother's wife would not have mattered to me. Eben pleaded for her release but I held firm. In fact despite the reappearance of her lover, Astrid was insistent on continuing on to Einar and the wedding. None of that would have changed my mind. However, I acquired some information that was to change my mind."

"Now, part of the reason I left my father's house was that I was not happy with the direction that I saw Einar taking. I did not leave out of spite, or jealousy, rather I could no longer watch Einar hobble my father, and destroy my homeland. But I had little proof. I knew he had a close band of ruffians around him, men without honor, men who did fell deeds for him in the dark. But I was alas younger then, and sought to avoid the conflict as much as it pained me to see it. I sought freedom, adventure and wealth on the Sea. But please bear that in mind, that I had suspicions of Einar before I left my father's halls."

"I chose this island for it's peace and magic, little did I realize how that magic would work, or the knots it would tangle in my wyrd. Based on information I, ....acquired. I asked Astrid to tell me her story. The story Alec knows or at least know most of. The story Arvid, of how a cult of demon worshipers tried to kill her and sacrifice her baby." Thorir pauses and takes another drink.

"Astrid gave me the final proof however. It was she, Alec that changed my mind. And maybe I am a fool, for once I had the information, there was no reason to set her free, yet I feel our fates are tied together. Alec knows this, but Arvid does not. The cult placed it's mark on Astrid's body the night of the planned sacrifice. It is a crescent moon above three stars, surmounted over a horned demon skull. It is the same tattoo or brand I have seen on Einar's men, and of course on Einar. It is this proof, insurmountable proof that Einar is a member of this foul cult. As the sages have said 'Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies'. This is why I changed my mind Alec, Astrid provided me with that evidence that I had suspected, though never to this degree. And that is why I will be returning to my homeland. Einar has disgraced and dishonored my name, my blood and my family, and I cannot let it stand. Arvid. I say this to you though you be Einar's representative. Einar has lost his right to rule. You serve my father, you have taught me, you taught me to stand for what was right. I am standing now against Einar whether you stand with him or no."

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec took a deep breath at these words, and looked to his daughter.

"I trust you would not be sitting here silent if he were not speaking for you?" he asked her. "For if that be the case then know I stand with you as well. I have searched long and hard for evidence of those who attacked my kin. I will not sit by when evidence has been found, and verified by more than one party.

"But it will not be an easy task," he went on to say, sitting back, his mind already moving to strategy, to see every obstacle. "He commands a force equal to my own, if not larger. My region's wealth comes from our mines, not our military strength. Few would risk our ire due to trade. We would simply cut them off. Simply attacking Einar will not get the effect that you want. We must be more...subtle.

"We cannot simply kill him, either. We need to know who his contacts are, who he is working with or for. If we leave this...this cult to their own devices, they will fester under the skin of society, even if Einar is deposed and you, Thorir, take his place. They will simply spread elsewhere."

He nodded to himself, as if the pictures of a plan, or something like a plan, was coming in to focus. "I will devote my resources to this, have no doubt. Together, we will find a way to cut to the root of this evil. But we cannot be hasty, for we are playing with the lives of many nations, and a war would do none of us any good. We need to plan."

Neurotic

Arvid looks at the gathering.
"We have several things going for us in this.
One, we are invited to the wedding - no subterfuge required.
Two, I live there, I'm with you. So inside work and preparation is possible. Lady Astrid will have some freedom too.
Three, Jarl Volund is still alive; while he holds out Einar will not take drastic steps, at least until he doesn't feel threatened.
Four, the cult feels safe. I know, they tried to remove me and when they failed they still moved in. They don't really care that I know; I'm neutered as a warrior with this limp.
Finaly, there is a...freedom fighter of sorts...a cultist hunter living somewhere near the halls. The cultists fear him and no one managed to find him yet. He's supposedly a werewolf, invulnerable to normal weapons, with head and claws of the wolf, but body of the man. The stories are varied, but more than once, cultist, their followers or just evil people are found dead in the dark, killed by slashes and bites. They call him Garmmörk. Good people are never harmed and several reported that he actually saved them from harm. Usually by killing the attackers. He is lawless, dishonorable, but in this case, he might be an ally."

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Nobody speaks for me but me, Father, you raised me too well for that," Astrid chuckled.

"But yes, Thorir speaks the truth of the matter. He promised me he would help me and I will hold him to it. We both have much at stake."

She wrung her delicate fingers together as she continued. "I still want to go to Grandael. I cannot waste time waiting to find out what Einar knows about Karsii."

She spotted Eben out of the corner of her eye, his hands tensed tighter into fists as she spoke. She tried her best to keep her eyes from him as she continued her thoughts.

"Arvid speaks what is on my mind. They are expecting us. Father, you came to my aid. We can tell them Thorir helped rescue me and we can all journey to Volund's halls together, and it would be impossible to turn anyone away. You should have been at the wedding anyway Father. I can tell them I need more time before the wedding, that I am so anguished from the ordeal I need time to recover first. They will believe that. They will delay it at least a few days, perhaps a fortnight. Then we all can find out what we can find out while we are there. And then-"

"No Astrid!" Eben stood up at the table, hitting his balled up fists against the table as he cut her off. "This is not the way forward, you cannot go-"

"Do not tell me what I can or cannot do Eben Marenson! You ran off with pirates while I was home looking for our daughter so you do not get to tell me what-"

"I did not run off with pirates! I left to save your life, Astrid, and I had no way to know-"

Astrid's frustration was evident as the two lovers continued to bicker. "We have already been over this, I am doing it," the red-headed woman said stubbornly. "Nothing you can say will stop me."

Eben had seen this determination from Astrid before and he knew, nothing did stop her when she had a goal in mind. "Argh!" Eben let out a frustrated yell as he stood and knocked over his chair. He paced behind the table. "I do not want her to do this thing. I think she and I should go looking for Karsii ourselves. Perhaps someone else at this table with more say in this than I can convince Astrid not to do this. Karsii is just my daughter after all."

Astrid softened at Eben's words. "I just cannot lose this one chance we have at Einar. I will never have his trust again, I will never be able to walk his halls again and see for myself what role he might have played in any of this. If he thinks I am unwise to his plots and plans, he thinks me stupid and foolish, all the better for me. I need to do this."

Remove ads