• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cruella (or Cruell) De Vil for AL?

Snapdragyn

Explorer
"Once Upon a Time" seems to be going for a sort of beast master/controller interpretation of Cruella De Vil, which I find interesting. Since my AL (Adventurer's League) group is suggesting that players start new characters for the new AL season, I was looking for ways to model this in 5e.

So far, it seems like a bit of a bust. :( I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions.

Possible routes:

Warlock, Pact of Chains, Beast Speech incantation.

This one may hit the closest that 5e can get. A (better) familiar, & ability to talk with any animals around. Pick up Animal Handling through the Favored Hero background, as bonus Human variant skill, or as a bonus Half-elf skill.

Lacks: Animal Friendship. Also, warlocks seem to end up focused on EB; I'm worried this would turn into just another 'archer w/ energy bolts' build.

Cleric, Nature domain.

The other top contender (plus I already play a warlock in a home campaign). Another way to grab Animal Handling (bonus domain proficiency), & ability to charm animals through channel divinity.

Lacks: A familiar (although going human & spending the feat on Magic Initiate could rectify that). The main concern here, though, is the cleric spell list - it's really all about party support, not controlling minions or attacking through them.

Druid, either circle.

Seems obvious. Does grant access to both Speak with Animals & Animal Friendship. However, with no regular animal companion I worry about how well the 'master of furry minions' aspect would play out in game, where characters often find themselves in environments lacking much in the way of usable animal life. Again, though, could grab a familiar w/ Magic Initiate feat.

Ranger, Beastmaster.

I think this shifts focus too much from caster to melee combatant, & throws all of the 'minion control' into a single creature. Not the flavor I'm after.

I don't know, this concept just might not be a good fit for 5e. I even looked at multi-classing (not always a good AL option, since the real synergy of some builds doesn't kick in until later than the campaigns seem to run); just not seeing anything that jumps out at me as a way to build this.

Voort

Explorer
Cleric, Nature domain.

The other top contender (plus I already play a warlock in a home campaign). Another way to grab Animal Handling (bonus domain proficiency), & ability to charm animals through channel divinity.

Lacks: A familiar (although going human & spending the feat on Magic Initiate could rectify that). The main concern here, though, is the cleric spell list - it's really all about party support, not controlling minions or attacking through them.

Keep in mind, taking Magic Initiate can also give you a couple of attack cantrips.

Remove ads