• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

crusader vs dragon shaman.

krupintupple

First Post
hey all,

need some quick advice. we're going to be playing a short campaign, and i'm torn between dragon shaman and crusader. i'm thinking of maybe going dragon shaman 7 crusader 1 - as we start at 8th level - so i could pick up some advanced maneuvres, while benefitting from my breath weapon. or, crusader 7, dragon shaman 1, just so i can be a heal-bot for my allies, as i wade into combat.

really, any variation of 8th level will do.

thanks everyone!

p.s. races & setting is forgotten realms, and DM is cool with a +1 or +2 LA if it's reasonable. ie: no feral

insanogeddon

First Post
left field

I might suggest the BINDER from 'tome of magic' or even the 'magic of incarnum' books as these both are very flexible, interesting melds of the sort of character you seem to be making (fightery/utility/heal bot/breath weapon) without multi books and such for a short game.

Or straight Dragon Shaman and a reach weapon work pretty well... you get to be in the thick of it which plays to your auras/d10/resistances/immunities while getting more attacks than BAB indicates (+4 hit on attacks of opp and granting +2 hit and dam if you take the reach feats in complete adventurer) and can lay out double barrel shot gun support up closre when its needed (make your allies/people you fight past immune).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'd suggest dipping Crusader at level 9, if you decide to do so. Just because non adept class levels are halved for determining your initiator level. So by entering at 9, you'll have an IL of 5 (8/2 +1) and can take level 3 maneuvers.

krupintupple

First Post
OP here. DM said we're not using Tome of battle cause too many of the newer players aren't familiar with it.

c'est la vie...

anyhow, back to my original idea then - i'm debating starting with a lone level of fighter or barbarian and then going dragon shaman for the rest. i should mention i'm leaning barbarian cause of the added speed and rage, which boosts the breath weapon and hit points too. anyone wanna weigh in on this?

Remove ads