Cry me a river 3.5E

Simulacrum

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Well back when we had 3 players for a short time he sent us against a mature red dragon AND an army, including blackguard officers. We basically had to attack a city-state with the red dragon as its queen. The only reason the two players still playing survived is, he had previously twinked our characters, to the point of actually giving one an epic weapon (+8 int bastard sword) but even with that we couldn't defeat the pit fiend. B.A.B. 7 +8 enchantment +7 str. Means need a 16 to hit for 1-10 +18-15 for primary attack. Oh if its not apparent he does experience and treasure ad-hock. Another thing because I asked for a prestiege class I haven't leveled in 4 levels time. This based on the other character. I don't know if I will, have to finish this quest before I can train. You know kill a few dragons and for you pro DR people out there an arch-lich and dragon that has an artifact that can only be negated by the rings also made by the creater. This is the real quest killing the arch-lich and dragon. The other foes simply guard rings. Oh a "neat" random encounter for one of these, a space kraken all the abilities of a normal kraken plus causes radiation sickness in about a 20 mile radius.

Man you are some kind of silly sob. Dont you have EVER considered that it's probably not the new DR rules that are your problem....just maybe its actually your DM who in my humble opinion is a playerbashing unimaginative unbalancing master torturer who doesnt care for ANY realistic challenging factors?
Sorry, but It's a damn good thing that now there are Monsters in the book that might be neigh impossible to defeat.
A pit fiend ought to be a terror with nearly none to equal his power...I meant they are the lords of hell (baator) after all!
And there are only 100 of them at best, they have to be TOUGH and MEAN. In the old version they were a minor pain in the ass at best.

Anyone whining about not being able to afford the new Player's Handbook is welcome to come clean my bathroom between now and July. In exchange I will happily purchase a copy of the book for you.

Vaxalon

First Post
Re: Re: Cry me a river 3.5E

sunbeam60 said:

Why will it be over? I just ran over the 3.5e info page again and didn't find any intelligence leading me to conclude that magic weapons would become less dominating.

Because the "Greater Magic Weapon" spell or a +3 magic weapon won't help you get past 10/silver damage resistance, or 10/holy damage resistance.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Agreed my DM is a big problem, but one just feeds the other. In other words these new books are just going to give him more ammo. As for another DM that is a joke, I can only get together with this one about 1/3 months.

boschdevil

First Post
Prep Work Required

EricNoah said:
Downloading the SRD allows you to have the new rules. But it doesn't keep you from doing some work to prep published 3.0 materials (adventures, sourcebooks). I think that's one of the more common worries/complaints.

I like this line of reasoning. If we err on the side of this worry or complaint, we would be still playing Basic D&D. (and actually I don't have a problem with this because I like Basic D&D) :D

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Re: Yup

muhcashin said:
The only gripe I have is the who battlemat thing. But then again, the original 3rd edition more than just propose to use battlemat. The whole attack of opportunity thing assumes that we're using minis. I've tried to play with AoOs without minis and, trust me, it's near impossible to do so without getting in some sort of argument. WotC "officially assumes" that all players use mats. Well, their assumption is well founded.

I'd still rather pay for one battlemat rather than three core books I already have. Then again, I'm in the camp of people that thinks using minis saves a lot of exposition regarding enemy positions, distance, etc... And the use of minis has not turned the sessions into wargaming chess piece pushing. Not in the slightest.

I'll probably buy the new core books, the rest of the group will never buy them... One has no books, he borrows his brother's, one only has the PHB because I got it for him for his B-Day, and one is just barely out of middle school and will not be able to convince his parents that he needs a new set of 30 dollar books a scant year and a few months after he got the old ones.

Oh well.

National Acrobat

First Post
I could be wrong but I honestly expect a lot of people to take what they personally wanted fixed from the revised rules and add it to their games. I believe that every DM out there will have different takes on the rules, and that each group will have variants. I plan on downloading the revised SRD and just changing what I want changed, mainly because I know 2 very real facts regarding my players:

1-they aren't going to go buy any new PH's. Many of them just now managed in the last few months to buy the PH for the first time. They are already griping about the revised rules. And I also know that they will not download and print the SRD.

2-In our group of 11, 3 of us DM and we all have house rules and differing interpretations of various things and I fully expect that we will each decided to include whatever revisions we deem necessary to our games, and keep everything else as the status quo.

I think that it will be personal taste that dictates whether or not some people go all the way with all the rules changes. And I am quite sure that there will be people who keep playing 3E exactly the way it currently is.

William Ronald

Explorer
The DR issue does reflect some of the tales and traditions of folklore and mythology. I suspect that because damage reduction is being lowered, it will still be possible for a 20th level fighter to inflict serious damage on a pit fiend with a weapon that is neither holy nor silvered. The cantrips should help, and I think would fit in well for certain character concepts. (Such as a ranger who hunts werewolves.)

It is possible that players will likely have weapons made out of different materials. I have characters who try to carry a silver or cold iron dagger, just in case their magic weapons are destroyed. (A character can carry a fair amount of small weapons. For a chuckle, view the scene in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome where the character is asked to disarm.)

Also, I think having weapons made from special materials may help those DMs who wish to have a low magic setting. Many creatures will have vulnerabilities. Indeed, even in a high magic setting, characters can still take advantage of the weaknesses of monsters to certain materials.

Some exception materials could logically mimic other materials. As someone suggested, perhaps mithral could act much like silver against creatures. Adamantite might act like cold iron. (Obviously, these are and should be rare materials that can't be acquired at every general store in a campaign world.)

Remove ads