• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CSI Miami, Lawful Good, and Paladins... ?

Phaedrus

First Post
Monday's episode, relevant synopsis:
One of Horatio's employees (Eric Delco) is accused of buying marijuana from a murder suspect. Internal Affairs begins an investigation. Eric has been buying marijuana, for his sister, who has cancer. He is with her when she smokes it, and so he comes up positive on his drug test. IA is after him. Horatio, who knows the truth, gets the charges dismissed by getting the drug test thrown out (insufficient evidence--the word of a murder suspect against that of a cop).

My question: Was Horatio's behavior compatible with Lawful Good alignment? Was it compatible with a paladin's code of behavior?

Remember, Delco did in fact break the law.

Can a LG character (and/or a paladin) overlook laws that they disagree with or laws that were broken for a good reason?

Phaedrus

First Post
While I don't agree he's Judge Dredd, I never said he was a paladin, either.

I'm using the situation to try to clarify the "definition" of LG and paladins.

I suppose the answer depends on whether you are LAWFUL good or lawful GOOD. I would argue that Caine's behavior is consistent with LG, and possibly OK for a paladin, depending on his deity. St. Cuthbert or Pholtus wouldn't approve, but Pelor would.

I suppose a Lawful Good character would also make sure the junior detective also made amends for his crime, but it might not be "punishment". More like community service or something less harsh.

But this is a perfect time to ask. Last week or the week before on CSI Miami, they had this cut scene you could view by going to their website. Did anybody check that out and if so, what was the "secret"? I'm thinking it was the pot and cancer from the first post, but I'd like to know for sure. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Phaedrus said:
While I don't agree he's Judge Dredd, I never said he was a paladin, either.

My point was that during the course of the show, Horatio Caine has, despite being sworn to uphold it, broken the law quite often (usually in minor ways, but still). I think his behavior is GOOD, but not very LAWFUL - of course it's TV, so he can get away with a lot more than he could were he a real Detective. I think Grissom from the original series is a better example of LAWFUL GOOD in that he makes a very concerted effort to work within the law, as opposed to bending or breaking it where it suits his needs.

Phaedrus

First Post
jdrakeh, I agree with you there.

I suppose Mac from CSI: NY is more like Grissom, too.

(I watch WAY too much CSI)

Can a LG character bend the rules? "I fully support the concept of law, and I follow the letter when possible, but I will break the law if the situation warrants it (and by warrant I mean justice/good is advanced by breaking the law, not just a subjective desire for my own benefit)."

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Phaedrus said:
Can a LG character (and/or a paladin) overlook laws that they disagree with or laws that were broken for a good reason?
A LG character certainly can. First of all, Lawful does not mean "law-abiding." Second, "few people are completely consistent. A lawful good character may have a greedy streak that occasionally tempts him to take something or hoard something he has, even if that's not lawful or good behavior." (PHB, p.103)

Paladin questions are to be avoided like the plague, but I will point out that the laws regarding suppression of evidence are just as much laws as are those prohibiting the sale and possession of drugs. If a paladin is required to uphold secular law (and I'm not saying he is), he's duty-bound to uphold the laws requiring suppression of evidence as well as any others.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Phaedrus said:
My question: Was Horatio's behavior compatible with Lawful Good alignment? Was it compatible with a paladin's code of behavior?

In a modern setting I think so. HC is probably aware of a lot of cases that the police lose due to mistakes in administration. Sometimes murderers go free just because an officer handles evidence in the wrong way. HC writes this case up as one of those lost due to human error and since Delco is no career criminial no real harm is done.

HC can in good conscience keep doing good deeds at the end of each episode.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think this is more NG than LG.

IMHO, a LG person would insist on him being arrested, but stick up for him at the trial. A Paladin would give a stunning persuasive argument that would convince the jury to acquit him.

trancejeremy said:
I think this is more NG than LG.

IMHO, a LG person would insist on him being arrested, but stick up for him at the trial. A Paladin would give a stunning persuasive argument that would convince the jury to acquit him.

If it were just a civilian, maybe. But assuming the (fictional) Miami CSI works the same as the (fictional) Las Vegas one, that would be too late. Delco wouldn't have to be found guilty; he'd be fired just for being arrested.

I think, since the consequences would be severe no matter what, even a LG character could get by doing what Horatio did.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads